Thread: Big Bend- The HD version is finished

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Big Bend- The HD version is finished

The link to the old video is dead. I finally finished the HD version this evening. I changed the images and sequence up and compiled it for Vimeo's version of HD. I'm interested to hear opinions of the new version

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Just watched this again and I want to thank you. It is a wonderful compilation and your choice of music is tops as well. I hope to travel to Big Bend but until then I will look at your video and count the days till. Thank you Ann

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Ann. Big Bend is a special place. I find new things there every time that I go.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Michael,

I've been in western France with an internet connection too slow to view a video, so just got to see it. Nicely done! The time one image was up was excellent, all the transitions worked well. You added new images not seen in your earlier version, and the flow and music really keeps the interest. The only nit is when the credits roll at the end, it came out a little jerky.

Question, I'm curious how much time did it take to produce this, not including the first version?

Roger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Roger.

I plan to change the rolling credits to a static view. I've been checking out some of the DSLR video masters work and they generally don't use rolling credits.

The first version was done on Final Cut Express and it took days to edit and produce not counting image editing.

Version two was a complete do over so I started with every Raw file of every Big Bend image that I have ever taken and sorted them into a keep / maybe / forget it "pile" in LR3. Then I looked at the maybe's and sorted some of those back to the keep pile. Then I rated the images, sorted on 5's and 4's, revisited 4's and made some 5's, then revisited 5's, putting some back to 4's, and then edited all of the 5's in LR3. This process took a long time.I started with over 1,500 images and whittled down to 300. From there I cut to 100. Then I cut those to 40. I edited all 40 images just as I would edit any still image. I cropped them to the HD format (I'm totally drawing a blank on what that is right now). I used most but not all of those 40 images to build the movie.

Once still's were selected and edited the process went fairly quickly. The process went something like this. In Adobe Premiere I opened a new project and:

(1) Created all of my folders (Images, Video, B-roll, A-roll, and a few other that I don't remember. I did not use all of the folders but I wanted to start with a standard set of folders)
    (2) Imported the music and placed it in the time line
    (3) Built the intro frame and rolling credit end frame and placed them in the correct location in the timeline. I doubt if I spent much more than 10 minutes on this total
    (4) Added markers for where I wanted to place images in time with the music
    (5) Placed the images on the timeline roughly and did a quick review for image order even though they weren't timed to the music.
    (6) Adjusted the image order so that the type of image seemed to me to fit the mood of the music. I think that this took the most time.
    (7) Adjusted image time to fit between the markers. As I did this I would play the movie and make sure the cuts were in the right place. I had to move a few of the markers a frame or two and then realign the image to the markers. I think it's important to get the timing right before adding transitions. This was fairly time consuming. Possibly on par with Step 5.
    (7) Added the transitions
    (8) Played the movie a few times to be sure that it was what I wanted.
    (9) Exported the movie (Premiere's engine for this is very nice)
    (10) Edited the movie again because even though I thought it was fine in step 9 I found some problems after exporting. I actually did this about 3 times

The whole editing process (first time to use Premier) took maybe 2 or 3 hours at most. Sorting through and editing images took days.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a beautiful work, Michael. Congratulations and thank you for creating it.
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Lens