Thread: St Dominic's Church Ruins

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default St Dominic's Church Ruins

This was created in LR and LRTimelapse. It's comprised of 396 individual images shot at 30s+ intervals. I used a Canon intervalometer set at 1s. The Canon intervalometer waits for the shutter to close and (I think) the disk write to complete before it trips the shutter hence the + at the end of the shutter speed. As in the prior video, passing traffic wreaked havoc on the image. To me it looks like lightning flashes but I would have preferred a completely dark site.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael,

Another nice one. I can see the stars jump a little, so perhaps 20 seconds? Or a shorter focal length lens would reduce the jumping.
    How do you downsize for the video, or do you work it at full resolution? The reason I ask, is if downsizing added pixels together, it would reduce noise and perhaps bring out fainter stars.

Roger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger,

I'm not sure what Vimeo does to the image but I'm sure it's downsized. I created the video in Lightroom and I used jpgs, which is another minus. It works for putting together a rough cut but if I was going to create something for prime time I would use raw files with Premier Pro and AfterEffects. I could probably help the video out a little if I worked a little harder in post. The brightly lit scenes makes impossible to do a global edit though. This has definitely been and continues to be a learning curve but it's fun.

The jumping stars are probably a function of the frame rate that I chose. If I remember correctly I used 24fps. That's another one of those learning curve things. I haven't quite figured out how to decide which frame rate to use

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work. The star motion in the sky is remarkable. The flashes of light on the building I thought were from a camera's flash before reading your commentary. If you have a concern over them, I can only think to have the building illuminated somehow to an equal or greater extent each time your image is captured.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post
    Michael,

Another nice one. I can see the stars jump a little, so perhaps 20 seconds? Or a shorter focal length lens would reduce the jumping.
    How do you downsize for the video, or do you work it at full resolution? The reason I ask, is if downsizing added pixels together, it would reduce noise and perhaps bring out fainter stars.

Roger
    The star "jumping" is only noticed here in the last few seconds of the video.