Thread: A Pano at Magpie Falls

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Pano at Magpie Falls

Here is a panoramic image of the base of Magpie Falls in Wawa, Ontario from my trip last week up along Lake Superior's eastern shore. Four horizontal images were stitched to create the pano and then I applied Topaz B&W Effects with a slightly heavy handed use of the detail sliders and then a touch of Nik's Dfine.

Look forward to comments.

Name:  Panorama--Magpie-Falls-B&W-Effects.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  193.2 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Andrew, Looks like you are having way to much fun with the B&W Effects. I like the way you chose to present this as a pano. Lots of detail and I think it looks like an etching, nice work!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Magpie Falls looks like a wonderful place to visit! This pano makes the falls look like they go on and on. I wonder about taking just a smidgen off the bottom.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Plenty of differing framing options ion this wonderful image. I really like the pan..............

Brendan Dozier

I agree, Andrew, it does have an etching look to it, nice stitching and BW processiong work. Like the detail and your pano presentation, would look even better at a larger size of course.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andrew, I'm going to have to be the curmudgeon this time and say that I would rather see the top of the falls in this image. The processing is excellent, no doubt about that, but the pano crop feels "forced" to me. To my eye, the left third of the image is isolated by the dark area that breaks up the pattern. I do like the Topaz B&W effects plug.

In case anybody missed it, Topaz has updated the B&W Effects plugin and the update is free.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andrew, there are images within images within images here...like Jay mentioned, so many different framing options. I like the processing you've done on this...it does remind me a bit of etched glass...a good composition that, as Kerry mentioned, leaves me wanting to see just a bit more across the top. Magpie Falls must be an incredible place to visit and photograph...looking forward to more of your images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love, love, love this. The filigree patterns and B&W treatment are excellente. One thing bugs me; anyone wanna take a crack at what that might be?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

The bottom edge?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The only thing I can imagine is the right side. URC water seems to be hanging up in the air a bit and the LRC bright spill area with no/little source. That's pushing it for me...........I like this a lot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito View Post
    The bottom edge?
    Nope. I think that Andrew handled the bottom edge perfectly.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Brendan Dozier

Even though it may be level, a little bit of CCR and maybe lighten up the dark rock on lft or crop it some more so both sides are more balanced?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments all.

Should be level.....pano leveling base on tripod was square as was the double bubble level, but camera was a slight downward angle so now wonder if a slight rotation, as Brendan mentions, is needed. Or....about a third in from the right the rocks behind the cascading water are not as pronounced as throughout the rest of the comp. Perhaps I should darken them a bit?

Although 4 images were stitched for this, only about 3 1/2 frames were required for this comp, so there is more of the scene available, but too much water on the right side was eliminated with the crop.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

If it's not the bottom -which BTW I like, thae you want the one fall coming out of the corner?? I'm out of guesses after this
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 09-23-2011 at 06:17 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Love, love, love this. The filigree patterns and B&W treatment are excellente. One thing bugs me; anyone wanna take a crack at what that might be?
    The space on the left... a slight cropping from the left would help with balance IMO.

Beautifully captured and processed Andrew.

Richard

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito View Post
    If it's not the bottom -which BTW I like, thae you want the one fall coming out of the corner?? I'm out of guesses after this
    Young lady, you are officially out of guesses....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lovison View Post
    The space on the left... a slight cropping from the left would help with balance IMO. Beautifully captured and processed Andrew. Richard
    Nope for me; if you take anything off the left you lose that little waterfall upper left that is in the perfect spot.... Andrew, amazing that this is stitched....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Young lady, you are officially out of guesses....
    hehehe

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nope for me; if you take anything off the left you lose that little waterfall upper left that is in the perfect spot.... Andrew, amazing that this is stitched....
    OK. I'll make one last attempt if I may... you're officially bugged because the shot wasn't yours?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK. I'll make one last attempt if I may... you're officially bugged because the shot wasn't yours?
    Nope. There is a feature in the image that I find distracting....

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nope. There is a feature in the image that I find distracting....
    Ah, the black, Chinese looking character at the top, left of center?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ah, the black, Chinese looking character at the top, left of center?
    Bingo! You hit the nail on the crack (in the rocks). And all that it took was a little clue

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arthur, your clue was back in pane #8 with the clever wording of your comment and we all missed it..."anyone wanna take a crack at what that might be?".....I'll fix up the cracks. Thanks

Brendan Dozier

Ah, yes, I see it now. And now it is distracting me!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McLachlan View Post
    Thanks Arthur, your clue was back in pane #8 with the clever wording of your comment and we all missed it..."anyone wanna take a crack at what that might be?".....I'll fix up the cracks. Thanks
    I wish that I could say that that was intentional

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Dozier View Post
    Ah, yes, I see it now. And now it is distracting me!
    Once you see something like that your eye goes there and only there!!! Amazing how that works. Same if you do a repair; no matter how good it looks your eye goes right to it. Very suspiciously.