Thread: Peek-A-Boo

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Peek-A-Boo

Attached Images Attached Images

A water lily from yesterday, taken just before heading in for a cup of coffee. Taken with the 100-400@400mm, f/22@1/30. RAW image processed in LR then taken into PS where I evicted a couple of small insects that I didn't see originally, and cleaned up some debris and burn spots on the pads. Also evicted a small, stray stem along the top border. Added a little pop to the image with some tonal contrast and color. Cropped this version slightly from the left and the bottom to bring the lily more in line with the ROT...the other wasn't far off and had a nice little element to the LLC pad that I lose with the crop...still not sure which version I like the most. As always, I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey John, as requested, here is my take on it. Easier with image than words..............low light, slight glow, contrast to flower and diagonal merging pad edge. Of course, crop to favor the vertical orientation the flower. IMHO. Very nicely seen. I might tone down the pinks colors as an option on my image..........i just love the colors........

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, thanks for taking a look and posting your suggestions. The repost is a little too dark and too intense for me...the crop is an interesting take, and shows another way to use the image - thank you! - I did darken it a bit overall and then darkened the petals a bit more. I like the radiating lines from the RHS pad and the water...I think it gives some depth...but I did a version something close to your crop as well, to play with more later. Thanks again!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like both compositions and agree John's is a bit intense (but a viable crop alternative), the little bit of darkening of the repost makes me pick it as the winner...lovely colors and sharpness throughout...well done

Brendan Dozier

John, very nicely seen and composed! Your repost looks good with the darkening, like Jays version too, but color is a bit intense. Good work!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John. I like the ROT position of the flower and the diagonal flow of the upturned pad through the frame. I prefer the slightly darker repost, but I think Jay's alternate crop would also work very well. As usual, this is very nicely done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

To my eye, In your OP the flower looks like it is being crushed by the large pad on the right. That is why I like Jay's crop, though is suffers from putting the flower too much in the center (not that centered subjects aren't OK sometimes). I do think your version could be darkened a bit to bring out more detail in the flower.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey John, I am with Anita on the crushing thing. Jay's Pane 2 crop with a bit less of a heavy hand on the color would likely be the best option here.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Anita and Artie, thank you for your comments. I, too, like Jay's crop..I also like the lines flowing across the RHS pad toward the flower...never saw it crushing the bloom until it was mentioned! Something to watch for in future compositions...thanks again for your input!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Funny thing is that that is the first thing that I felt when I opened the image. Was amazed to see Anita's comment!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.