Thread: Indian NightJar - Rare Beauty to get on branch

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Indian NightJar - Rare Beauty to get on branch

We were in one of the very small sanctury and suddenly my friend manoj sighted this nightjar..we normally see nightjars on the ground, i am happy that we have got this seating on branch..see how it is camoflouged
    Wikipedi: Nightjars lay one or two patterned eggs directly onto bare ground. It has been suggested that nightjars will move their eggs and chicks from the nesting site in the event of danger by carrying them in their mouths C&S are MOST welcome
    Canon 500d|250mm|F8|ISO 400

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice find, I'd love to stumble upon such a subject...and on a branch no less! Sharp with lots of nice details. I don't mind that tangle of branches at right, but I do think the comp would be strenghtened by eliminating the OOF stuff in upper left cornere. I'd also tone down the white spot between the wings and tail. In PS "Color Balance" you can add a bit od magenta to negate the greenish cast on the plumage.

Would you have been able to move slightly more to your left without introducing any distractions in the frame? I ask because I feel yyou could have had a slightly better body / head angle that way if at all possible. Still a very neat image, and I'll bet you were pretty darn happy with that outing!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nightjars fly right into the parks in downtown Shanghai; they're that common, that used to living near man; yet they're among the toughest birds to photograph well. I love and deeply appreciate this image. Not only did you find a nightjar, but you managed to photograph him at a straight-on angle! Daniel is spot-on about eliminating the branches in the left-hand corner; I'd go one more and get rid of the faint branch top center. I'd also cool down the hot spots on the nightjar. Savor this shot, yogesh; you may never get another one like it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Definitely , a very uncommon bird to spot !! Beautifully done . Nice call by Daniel on the colour balance !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice job spotting and capturing this well camoflaged fella, Yogesh.
    I hear them (their north american cousins) more often than I see them. And I only ever see them high in flight around dusk.
    I remember being as giddy as a school boy the one and only time I saw a nighthawk perched on an ugly fence post during the day here in Texas.
    Nice suggestions above - very nice capture!