Thread: Hello from Riviera Maya, Mexico.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hello from Riviera Maya, Mexico.

Hello everyone!

What a great site this is, the quality of the work posted by so many great photographers is humbling.

My name is Ivan Gabaldon. I got my first 35mm camera when I was 14 and have been taking photos since then, professionally for the last 20+ years. I also write and do film/video.

I'm originally from Venezuela but are now living in Mexico's amazing Riviera Maya (Mexican Caribbean). Nature is stunningly beautiful here and without much thought I started doing bird photography a little more than a year ago. It has become an addiction. I'm also doing macro work on insects, flowers and other manifestations of the natural landscape around me. Both types of photography are new to me, as before I dealt mostly with documentary, showbiz, editorial, fashion and advertising.

Last year I suffered the unfortunate theft of all my photo gear when thieves broke into our house (including my old and beloved film cameras!). I had been working with a Nikon 300mm/f4 lens plus a Nikon TC-1.4, and the Nikon 105mm/f2.8 VR Micro-Nikkor (which I love!!!). I have since bought equipment again, had to replace the 105 with a second hand 60mm Micro-Nikkor, and bought another 300mm/f4 but have yet to buy the TC-1.4. The only reason I mention all this is because, even though I'm back to the most basic configuration for bird photography (300mm f4 lens, w/o TC) I refuse to let that become an excuse and rather have embraced it as part of the challenge. I do look forward to get a TC soon, I feel the 300mm with TC-1.4 combination is great for my style of work, which involves a lot of walking around with the camera on a monopod. Of course like all birds photographers I lust after some of the really big glass out there, but all in due time.

I have become so involved with this "bird photography thing" that about a month ago started doing a bilingual (Spanish-English) blog about the experience. I hope to document my growth as a bird photographer and share info on the Riviera Maya and birding spots here, documenting outings on my motorcycle to possibly good bird-photography spots and sharing the resulting images.

Well, enough said. I will continue looking at the great images posted here and soaking up experiences shared by colleagues. And yes, I will dare post images for comment and critique.

Thanks for this wonderful place in cyberspace!

IGH

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN, Ivan! I like your attitude of doing the best you can with the gear you currently have. Looking forward to seeing your photos!
    God Bless
    Christopher, Old Photo Master and Master Texturizer

Old Memories Photography

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Thanks!

Thanks Christopher for welcoming to the forum. I have just posted my first picture. Looking forward to any comments.

Sincerely,

IGH

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Ivan:

You have certainly come to the right spot for bird photography!

Look forward to some more of your images with the amazing water from your location!

Please feel free to comment on other folks images. It is a great way to improve your eye, by learning to look critically at images and record what works and what doesn't.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Ivan, Bummer about the theft. It is good that you have a positive attitude. I look forward to seeing more of your images.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN Ivan, you've come to the right place for your hobby and addiction.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Thanks!

Thank you Andy, Arthur and Daniel!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

And thanks Andy for encouraging me to comment on other people's images, I understand that it is an important part of what I should give to the community as a forum member. I did read the forum rule indicating that for each review of one of my images I should try to comment on at least five other images, so far I have only done it on one image but it's just because I don't want to do it lightly or for the sake of doing it. I'll keep looking and will post my comments when I feel I do have something worthy to add to the mix. For that reason I will refrain from posting another one of my images right away, even though I feel tempted because it's great to get feedback from all of you! :-)

IGH