Thread: Triangle Building HDR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Triangle Building HDR

Attached Images Attached Images

I created this image from a 5-frame AEB sequence +/1 one full stop around -1/3 stop. ISO 100. The base exposure was 1.6 sec. at f/8. Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with the EOS-1D MIV. Live View and 10 sec. self timer with IS off. (The longest exposure was 6 sec. at f/8.)

HDR in Photomatix with lots of tweaking.

This was from Denise's killer Weehawkin workshop (with my old buddy Scott Vincent); I think that they are doing another one soon....

Do check out Long Lens/Long Exposure/Image Stabilization Lesson Learned.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur, love the colors and the comp. Very nicely done. You make a fine architectural photographer. I only wonder about the sky in the lower right area of the comp...should it be closer in tone to the rest of the sky?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default repost

Hi Art, I like your comp along with the color and sharpness of the top. I felt the bottom looked a bit washed out and added a simple contrast adjust to even out the image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie;

Beautiful colors...I really like that deep blue just beneath the top triangle, and the lights shining up toward the top helps to set the color and tone off even more. The blue window panes in the bottom 1/3 or so give it an almost three dimensional look....at first i was a little distracted by the building to the left but the more I looked at the image the more I found that it added depth to the composition. Nicely done.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Art,

To my eyes this building looks close to dead center in the frame and facing left, and, with the other building, the comp feels a bit heavy to the left. If it were mine I would take a bit off the top to further play to the height of the structure, and about half-inch or so on the right side. This moves the building to the right, facing left and evicts part of that compression effect from the lower right side of the building, and IMO would add a bit more depth to the image. Otherwise, the colors are lovely. And the sharpness, considering the 800mm exposure time is impressive. It is still impressive as presented. I intend on reading your Lesson Learned bit.
    Last edited by Jay Sheinfield; 09-09-2011 at 04:53 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Artie, You did great with the 800 lens. I love the shape of the building and the way it looks illuminated. The processing is terrific. The dark areas in the sky middle frame I might evict if it were mine. Can't wait to see more from the workshop.
    Last edited by denise ippolito; 09-09-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Brendan Dozier

This image really makes a strong impact, Artie, love the shape, patterns, and illumination glow. Great color combinations, and like the gray sky, but I agree it might look better more evened out. Good suggestions, and like Dave's repost.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all. Hard to believe that I worked hard on this image and made a total mess of the sky.... Ilike Dave's repost but he missed the dark smudges that Denise mentioned. I used a brand new technique that Denise taught me last week to create the repost in this frame. In addition, I lightened the whole sky a bit.

The idea for the technique was 100% Denise. We wrote the tutorial together. We call the technique :“Protect and Defend Cloning with Layers." You can request your free copy by clicking here and reading on down.

I gotta say that with the help of everyone here I was able to improve this image about 500%. So thanks again.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Sheinfield View Post
    Hi Art,

To my eyes this building looks close to dead center in the frame and facing left, and, with the other building, the comp feels a bit heavy to the left. If it were mine I would take a bit off the top to further play to the height of the structure, and about half-inch or so on the right side. This moves the building to the right, facing left and evicts part of that compression effect from the lower right side of the building, and IMO would add a bit more depth to the image. Otherwise, the colors are lovely. And the sharpness, considering the 800mm exposure time is impressive. It is still impressive as presented. I intend on reading your Lesson Learned bit.
    Are you suggesting that I crop away part of the building?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McLachlan View Post
    Hi Arthur, love the colors and the comp. Very nicely done. You make a fine architectural photographer. I only wonder about the sky in the lower right area of the comp...should it be closer in tone to the rest of the sky?
    Thanks Andrew. I think that it is more a matter of seeing and thinking telephotographically (if you will). Everyone was there with their 24-105s and out comes the 800 :). Just my way of seeing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Repost looks great!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Are you suggesting that I crop away part of the building?
    It was my first thought on problem I saw.......the two buildings placed as they are in the frame facing left,still feel left heavy. There maybe another way to solve it, but yes what occurred to me was cropping away part of the building to remove the negative space on the right . If it were a bird or a person looking left, my inclination would be to favor the placement to the right.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repost is great. Wonderful colors, brilliance, shapes. Perfect for our theme.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arthur, the repost is superb!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Sheinfield View Post
    It was my first thought on problem I saw.......the two buildings placed as they are in the frame facing left,still feel left heavy. There maybe another way to solve it, but yes what occurred to me was cropping away part of the building to remove the negative space on the right . If it were a bird or a person looking left, my inclination would be to favor the placement to the right.
    I was not happy with the lower right from the get go but was against cropping away any of the building. I tried it and wound up liking it more than I thought that I would.... Guess it is a toss-up for me. Anyway, thanks!

I mentioned to John Storjohann the other day that the presence of the two of you here has been a big plus.
    Last edited by denise ippolito; 09-10-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do think the last post is stronger.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, late back to the party, but I can't believe the dramatic difference made using Denise's new technique for protecting while cloning...it almost smacks you in the head when you compare it to the original...it makes the color and tone in the building pop even more. For me, I still like the original composition...matter of taste!...I just like that bit of tension it adds and the "breathing room" it gives.

Thank you for your kind words...the time here is time well spent...and the people here are phenomenal. I learn something every time I visit, either about my own images or from viewing and reading about the images of others. It fuels the passion to become better!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anita Bower View Post
    I do think the last post is stronger.
    The cropped version in Pane 15?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love photos that have that internal luminous glow. This one does...

M.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mitch. Have you ever Flooded any building???

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie - Pane #15 is a winner
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Art, I appreciate you giving my ideas a look. I like it. I also wanted to acknowledge your note to John and I, thank you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are most welcome.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arthur,

Indeed I did a few weeks ago...

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...%29?highlight=

No new floods, as it is still suspended until after Hurricane season. Irene came too close! I will use it again sometime in early Oct.

Mitch

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mitch. That is your best!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arthur.