Thread: Dee

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dee

Attached Images Attached Images

A few years back, shortly after I started doing digital photography, I did some images at the National Tiger Sanctuary in Missouri. These incredible big cats have been rescued and are given a home for life. I brought this image into PS and first applied Topaz Adjust with a few tweaks...then, on a new layer, NIK Tonal Contrast. Played with the opacity a bit and then merged the two filtered layers together...brought the image back into Topaz Simplify, then Fractalius, once again on separate images. After tweaking the opacity to let a bit of detail show through, I finished the image in Topaz Detail; I should note that I masked the eye every time to let it come through in the final image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John...This is a very cool image as is.....you have to love Fractilius.... but i think if it were mine I would have masked a bit more detail perhaps the nose, teeth, or ear....Just a thought!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John,

I think this image has so much potential. I love the eye. The face looks terrific to me, the rest of the features I would like to see a bit more detail. I don't know Frac, but I'm thinking maybe masking off some parts as Bob recommended (the side of the head and neck), might make this even more powerful. The coloring is fantastic.........It is still very striking, as is.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

John, This is an awesome look. Great job with the filtering. I think that Bob makes a good suggestion but I think it has an abstract quality like this and I would hang it on my wall in a minute! Nice job!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bob, Jay and Denise...

Good morning! Thank you for your comments and suggestions...really playing with different effects with this image, and having too much fun ... one of those moments where I kind of got lost in the "look at that!" factor from Fractalius. Went back and toyed a bit more...brought back a good bit more detail, and skipped the Simplify at the end...looking forward to hearing what you think. Take care!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The second image looks great! I can tell that it is a big cat, yet it retains the abstract look and the wonderful colors and flow and brightness of the original. Now that I've seen the second post, the first one looks more like a cat. Initially, I couldn't tell what it was. I think this should be in the weekly theme category. Nice work.

Roman Kurywczak

I love,, love, love it!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost is awesome. As a proud new owner of Fractalius I too am entranced with all the possibilities. The powerful colors and the "electric" lines are perfect for a tiger.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, That's it for me! Very, very well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

John, It's awesome!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the comments...in the back of my mind I still have a very simplistic approach I'd like to see come to fruition...not sure this is the image for it though. Nancy, you're going to love Fractalius...fantastic plug-in. Take care!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image and application, John.

Know this may not be possible, but if there were a little more room on top ... But looks great as is. Like the second rendering.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One last version..a blend between the two...and I think this is getting closer to what I wanted...thank you for looking..thank you for the suggestions...this one has been fun!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm sticking with the second version.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, they all look great to me! I have to say that I like the second image best but the third one has a surreal quality that I love. The real art of photo manipulation IMO lies in the successful execution of a concept, and I can see that you are working on the concept with this series of images. Very cool look and super use of the filters! I look forward to your further explorations.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll take the full 100% Glow look of the image in Pane 1; it is dramatic on all counts. I would love to see a bit more room all around.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions...now, as I listen to everyone...and sit here at look at each of the images critically...I find something about each of them I like, but, like Kerry, find myself vacillating between 1 and 3. I took Pane 1 and added a bit of room all around per Artie's suggestion...I had a bit of trouble up top, but I think I've got the image where it looks natural again, at least to my eye. Thanks again!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellente. In retrospect, I like both the first and the last equally well with maybe a nod to the OP. Artie. be careful what you ask for :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

John, Very hard to decide but my initial feeling was for the original. I like the tight comp. and the way the top fur looks like flames. In hind sight I might take a sliver off the right in the original image. And to be truthful they are all wonderful images that are well executed. I do see a few artifacts at the bottom of your last post which if you go with that one I might clean up before print.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie and Denise, thank you again for your time and comments. Denise...you're right!...there were some artifacts in that last post, and I've now cleaned them up. I need to get in the habit of viewing at actual pixel size when I do finishing touches on these images after I finish filtering..I always do that with the original, but for some reason neglect to do so once I bring the image back up for OOTB work. How you saw that on the small JPEG version......good eye!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John...I like them all but I think my favorite is #3....a very nice blend between real and unreal.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bob, thank you for your comment...and I think (famous last words ) I settled on #3 myself..it's the one ended up printing, although I might end up printing #1 as well...they take on a new depth when they're larger! Take care.