Thread: Emerald Lake - A Different View

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Emerald Lake - A Different View

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken from the small bridge over a part of Emerald Lake. Lots of people were on the bridge and a couple of maintenance vehicles drove across while we were there. As a result, it was difficult to slow my shutter speed down as much as I would have liked due to vibrations.

Canon 7D
    16-35 @ 16mm
    1/200
    f4.5
    ISO 100
    HH, 2 stop GND and CP.
    Levels adjustment, LCE in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, the comp is well framed with good detail all around. Due to the water being approx 40% of the image I would of hoped for a clearer reflection which would of filled that area nicely.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Rachel,
    Definitely a differrent view. Yep.....a slower SS may have helped the reflection but sometimes you have to take what you can get! I would be tempted to open up the MG a touch more......just to give it more depth but a nice take on a familiar location!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, just a thought, but is it worth exploring the route of creating your IMAGE via 'Smart objects' in PS/ACR. This would retain your information, you can adjust your exposures, colours, etc and just build on layers. Then compress (flatten) and do the final tweaks in PS?

Dave, Roman & Robert know their stuff and will offer better advice I am sure, just a though, as it keeps things simple, manageable in terms of limited workflow and skill required.

Really pleased to se how you are developing in this area, well done, but don't forget to swing by wildlife too on occasions.

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the colour of the water and the depth in the scene Rachel.
    I agree that a clearer reflection would have been beneficial to the image as a whole.
    Is it possible to get to this spot for a sunset/sunrise shoot?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachael, a lovely "post card" image. All of the points raised by the others are absolutely valid; I like the simplicity of the image.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys for the comments and suggestions. I'll take a look at lightening the MG (which I presume is mid-ground) a bit more. Interestingly, I checked back in my images from that day and I had a shot with a ss at 1/40 but the reflection is worse with lots of ripples in the water. I'm wondering if the source of the lake is at the far end of the photo so that this is close to where the water is flowing in and if that explains some of the current too. I didn't get down to the far end of the photo so not sure what is there. The other part of the lake shown in my previous post a couple of weeks ago was much flatter and calmer.

Morkel - yes, it's possible to be at this location for sunrise or sunset. There's a lodge there and Emerald Lake is one of the major attractions of Yoho National Park but I could not be there at either of those times. I was there at about 5 p.m. and did not have a lot of time to explore this particular area due to having to meet people back at our lodge. I stayed at Moraine Lake for most of the time so was either there or at Lake Louise for sunrise or sunset.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, nicely composed. Agree with previous comments and suggestions. I only wish there was a little more light on the spruce trees. Nicely seen!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andrew, much appreciated.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, nicely composed. Agree with previous comments and suggestions. Very well done indeed
    TFS