Thread: Two Trees

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Two Trees

Attached Images Attached Images

Back to normal with normal cameras and lenses. I photographed this tree in the Masai Mara as I liked the shape and the small tree in the background along with the line of dark lines hanging in the sky. It wasn't until I started processing it that I noticed the red bark moving up the left hand trunk. I was tempted to bring out the colour more, but in the end it started to look too unreal which isn't really what I'm intending with the image.
    I also had a darker edge to the bottom of the image which I sort of liked, but then deleted. Now I'm not sure if it is too light and I found it very difficult to crop into a balanced composition and I think it is ok, but if anyone has opinions to the contrary, I'm happy to hear them.

Brendan Dozier

Great looking tree and composition, Hilary. The distant tree helps to communicate the vast open space, (and maybe kind of distance or isolation) Beautiful texturing as usual, and like the soft light and subtle colors. The tree is nicely framed off center and good contrast between the FG & BG. Levels work for me. Sorry, I can't be more disagreeable!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Brendan, Agreeable is fine by me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree, tree and composition are beautiful...love it like all your African images.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hilary, I think you've developed one of the more distinctive styles on here, and it definitely works for this image. Wonderful composition, great texture, the earth tones throughout the image are beautiful...it does give that feeling of immense space and isolation...aided by the small tree and also by the hills/mountains in the distance on the left. Great job!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Paul and John, I'm glad you liked it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another excellent composition, Hilary. Your distinct style certainly come out well here and the composition itself is awesome. Is this baobab tree btw?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I had to look up Masai Mara--thanks for expanding my geographic knowledge.

Beautiful light--distinctive in your images. The juxtaposition of the two trees is perfect--giving the feeling of distance and space--as do the mountains. Gorgeous tree! Isn't it amazing and fun how we sometimes don't notice an element until we see the image on our monitor? I'm wondering about the brown things amidst the grass. I find them slightly distracting, and wonder if that isn't because of their color and brightness. Maybe toning them down a bit? But, I'm the only one who has mentioned them, so maybe they aren't an issue for others.

Do you have a website?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Hillary......another lovely signature comp. I first thought that second tree was a range animal. For my tastes I would have added some detail and a bit of light to the leaves to balance with the super detail of the trees trunk. Just something to consider........Really like it as it stands.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image and application, Hilary.

True to your style and nicely done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hilary, I too thought the second tree was an animal. Maybe I need my eyes checked! Excellent processing and this has your signature look to it that I love so much. Nice composition and color tones.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone for your comments.
    Indranil, not a baobab as they don't grow in this part of Kenya more towards the coast in Tsavo and Meru National Parks. I'm not sure what this tree is but would guess that it is a local fig.
    Anita, the brown things in the grass are small termite mounds which occur throughout the region. When they get big enough you will often see topi (antelope) and cheetah sitting on top of them. My website is www.wildlifeartstudio.com.au/studio although it does need some attention! Haven't uploaded any new images for a while.
    Jay, I will have a look at your suggestions for the foliage … perhaps masking out some more texture off that area (I had removed some).
    Mark, thank you.
    Denise, I'm sure your eyes are just fine but if people think the second tree is an animal I don't think it will matter unless they are disappointed when they realise that it isn't!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hillary...lovely image of the Masaii....i was there last year and your image brought back pleasant memories....Your texture work is really nice and I love the clouds near the horizon. if you can bring out a bit more detail in the foliage it would take this image up a notch but as is .....its simply lovely!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another lovely image, Hilary. The composition, colors, and texture work are perfect. I love how the image conveys the vastness of the plains while also being an intimate portrait of the tree. Very well done!
    God Bless
    Christopher, Old Photo Master and Master Texturizer

Old Memories Photography

Susan Candelario

Beautiful all around, Hillary!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful composition Hilary. The touch of red is perfect IMO. But the overall image seems to be too green on my ACD :(

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can only add how much I enjoy your artistry and subjects, Hilary. TFS!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Bob, Christopher, Susan, Shreeni and Steve.

Shreeni, it does have a greenish tinge which I left intentionally. I had been making a lot of warm toned images and thought I'd mix it up a bit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hilary, I love all your images and this is no exception. I think the lighting in this one is exquisite I also thought the 2nd tree was an animal but I KNOW my eyes are bad
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Hilary, the mood created,composition and vastness of the empty plains make this a compelling image. Well done!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Cheryl and Dave.