Thread: Primordial

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Primordial

Attached Images Attached Images

The dark, damp, Wahchella Falls in the Columbia Gorge.
    Taken today, the hottest day of the year here and I went to cool off.
    1/10
    f8
    iso200
    Centerweighted metering (and I still had a hard time with this bright falls in the shade)
    10mm
    DSC_0708_2.jpg
    Last edited by dankearl; 08-20-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan

Nice exposure and shutter speed...Water is realistic which is the look I prefer. Prime spot to visit in hot conditions no doubt and well captured. Does look a little over sharpened me, maybe not to others, we will see no doubt. I might also consider cropping a little from the left to put the falls in the upper LHS third as I think that foreground rock is just a little too dominant and without a lot of interest.

TFS

DON

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan - fitting title. Good color of the greens and water and the ss works well. Looks like you handled the brightness of the water fairly well. I agree with Don about the large rock on the left sort of overshadowing the scene so I too would play with a crop.

TFS,
    Rachel

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, I've been to this location and it's an interesting place to shoot. In general I like how you framed the comp. Following Don's advice regarding a crop from the left would work well however you would severely clip the lower rock. IMO if that was done the smaller rock should be removed. The image does look a bit oversharpened but overall a good effort...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments, I can see the sharpening you are commenting on, I do not sharpen my Landscape photos at all, generally,
    I am still getting the hang of downsizing the photos.
    The tutorials all suggest some sharpening after downsizing, so I am trying to figure out how much.
    I am getting much better with bird photos, but the Landscape ones have to be saved at such a small resolution (30) on this one,
    that I probably just used too much (10 in NX2), I will back off some in the future.
    As for the comp, I also wondered about the rock, I was as far out as I could get without getting in the stream, and it flows pretty
    strong, even at this time of year.
    I was hoping the flow over the falls was less, but it was the usually ripping, bright white flow.
    It is a great place to photo, difficult lighting, a lot of different set-ups for a lot of different views.
    Dan Kearl