Thread: Best birding location in US - mid October (Travelling from India)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Best birding location in US - mid October (Travelling from India)

Hello,

I'm looking forward to a trip in October (12-25) to the US - not sure where & that's why I'm here to seek advice- Would like to know if there is anywhere that is especially good for bird photography that time of year. I'm keen on photographing some that's especially happens during that time of the year, worth witnessing & capturing too. My interest is towards Hummers, Raptors (Bald Eagles,Osprey, Peregrine & other Falcons), Owls, Kingfishers, Shore birds. Hawaii Islands options are open too.

This my first trip to the US & I'll have very little time to familiarize myself with any city. I've 4 days for hardcore bird photography, depending on your suggestions I can add a day or two. Post 17 Oct, I'll be with my better half.

I'd look on the WEB & older forum threads for a week before seeking for advice here....but for obvious reasons, could not pin down any specific location that would yield the best from my short stay. Hence decided it was best to take local help!

Hawaii Islands is on the list, therefore I'd prefer sticking to the east coast, but can travel up to Arizona.

Anxiously waiting for the suggestions, so as to plan my trip in advance...(It's a bit late though... travel dates for my wife's tour just came in last week)

Thank you

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Florida will offer Eagles, Osprey, Owls and possibly Peregrines in October.
    Plenty of waders, gulls and terns as well.
    James

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Deepak,

If you really want to image birds, Hawaii is probably out (birds but not a lot compared to other places like Florida). The Florida folks can probably give more info, but it is probably the best choice overall. It might be a little early as some birds will still be to the north. Florida is also a great vacation spot so when you wife joins you it is still a great place to be. But Florida is also a big state and you'll need to narrow it down to a smaller area within the state. I do like the the Tampa region, including Fort DeSoto, and the Venice Rookery, but it might be a little early in the season. Perhaps the people who live in Florida can give more details on specific areas.

Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you James for the heads up on the location... As you are from Florida, can you please assist me with best birding location for the birds you've mentioned?

Roger, thanks for the Info. & tip on Hawaii, I thought I could get to see some exotics there & could stick to one location, anyways. Florida is on the list, namely Orlando & maybe Miami. Sure let me look for more info. & wait for folks from Florida to pitch in....
    Where Up-North would say is still a best bet & sure finds? As my wife's official tour starts at Indiana, then on to Louisville & NY. I'll try to join early & then head down to FL.

There might be slight change in dates, & might have to start my trip by 07Oct.

Folks from Florida, who have prospective plans of birding on 1 & 2 week(end) of Oct may please let me know here or at deepakbrid@yahoo.com, I'll be glad to meet up & have some good birding experience. Birding regions pointed by Roger are all in close vicinity, other pointers are welcome too. Thank You!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Deepak,

You may want to visit the BAA website and get the site guides for areas you will be visiting from Artie.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Eric Weaver

What area of Indiana will you be in? I know the North East Indiana area pretty well but not so much on the rest. I can give recommendations for the rest if you could be more specific.

If you're going to be in the Fort Wayne area I might (depends on my schedule) be able to meet you and give a personal tour of some local areas if you so wish.
    Last edited by Eric Weaver; 08-24-2011 at 09:27 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the info. I've sent you a PM

Eric, thanks for the offer & I certainly would have been more than happy to catch up with any avian photography folks from the region.... but unfortunately,if at all I go to Indiana, I'll be in Mt.Vernon, way down south.
    As for now, Tampa Bay, Florida looks like the best bet...

Thanks again!

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In the other thread I posted steering people here, Ding Darling was suggested. I'm not sure how good it is in October, but also, a visit is best when the tide is low in the morning or evening, otherwise, I have found it very slow (not many birds) if the tide is high.

Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank You Roger, I'll keep that at the back of my mind & see how I can include it. It's proximity from Tampa is under 4hrs., so this should be a good to have option. I'd like to consider an evening & the following day early morning for Ding Darling.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanibel island tides:
    http://www.bestofsanibelcaptiva.com/tides/

Tampa tides:
    http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynami...abaysites.html

Fort DeSoto park tides:
    http://www.fortdesoto.com/tides.php
    (looks like around Oct 16 is low tide near sunrise)

Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello,

Thank you all for the inputs & info. provided. It appears that Oct is not the best time to visit for avian photography, hence I've deferred my trip. May be next year (Jan-Jun), I'll have to see what works out ...

Thanks again!