Thread: Best birding location in US mid October - Travelling from India

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Best birding location in US mid October - Travelling from India

Hello,

I'm looking forward to a trip in October (12-25) to the US - not sure where & that's why I'm here to seek advice- Would like to know if there is anywhere that is especially good for bird photography that time of year. I'm keen on photographing some that's especially happens during that time of the year, worth witnessing & capturing too. My interest is towards Hummers, Raptors (Bald Eagles,Osprey, Peregrine & other Falcons), Owls, Kingfishers, Shore birds. Hawaii Islands options are open too.

This my first trip to the US & I'll have very little time to familiarize myself with any city. I've 4 days dedicated for bird photography, depending on your suggestions I can add a day or two. Post 17 Oct, I'll be with my better half.

Anxiously waiting for the suggestions, so as to plan my trip in advance...(It's a bit late though... but the travel dates for my wife just came last week)

MODS - Should I need to start a new thread for other Regional Groups - East of the Mississippi River & Florida pls. do let know.

Thank you

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd look on the WEB & older forum threads for a week before seeking for advice here....but for obvious reasons, could not pin down any specific location that would yield the best from my short stay. Hence decided it was best to take local help!

Hawaii Islands is on the list, therefore I'd prefer sticking to the east coast, but can travel up to Arizona too. Thanks again :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Deepak,

On your list of possible sites to visit should be the Conowingo Dam along the Susquehanna River between Baltimore and Philadelphia.

It is well-known for Bald Eagle opportunities in the fall.

- Bill
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Lens

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sure Bill, will keep that on list & see if I can schedule my trip accordingly. Well, how many days do you think is okay for birding here...

Thanks for the pointer!

There might be slight change in dates & might start my trip by 07Oct.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default You can look in the neotropical birds

Maybe you have time for visit Mexico, i live 1 1/2 hrs from the Mexico City International airport, we can see many hummingbirds,wood warblres, etc, many neotropical birds.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Raul,

Thanks for the heads up...

Looks like I can cover Mexico on US Visa, if I can, will sure include Mexico in my trip.

Excerpts from http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html
    "As of May 1, 2010, non-U.S. citizens with valid U.S. visas may enter Mexico with the U.S. visa, and do not have to obtain a Mexican visa."

I'm guessing you are referring to Mexico City International Airport which is close to Pachuca, Hidalgo. I'll need this info... to schedule my trip.

Thanks!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello,

Thank you all for the inputs & info. provided. It appears that Oct is not the best time to visit for avian photography, hence I've deferred my trip. May be next year (Jan-Jun), I'll have to see what works out ...

Thanks again!