Thread: Orb Weaver and Prey (Fly).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Orb Weaver and Prey (Fly).

Attached Images Attached Images

From my backyard. The scene was as is when I first saw it, no kids throwing insects in the web for fun...I only wish I could have witnessed the fly actually get snared in the web and the subsequent attack. This'll do I guess!

I had to push the depth of field / shutter speed combination (for handholding) a bit more here to get the fly and most of the spider in focus. At 1/80s. and some wind kicking around it was tough to get sharp pictures, but a few came out very nice.

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/80s., f/8, ISO 800, -0.7 EC, natural light, full-frame at 1:1 magnification ratio.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is pretty cool Daniel - never tried macro, there is a whole new world of photography out there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love it.
    Perhaps you had more direction f10-12 may go.
    more focus to it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very good results for hh Daniel. You are doing quite well with your new lens. There is plenty of 'stuff' in focus and sharp, the bg is perfect. I like how the focus fades away through the web in the bg. I read once that the weight of the insects that spiders around the world eat in a 24 hour period equals the weight of the human population, and that in many places there can be as many as 5000 spiders per acre.

Jack

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan....very nice work for the conditions you describe. I like the way the bg is a nice wash and the fly is in sharp focus. The diagonal composition works for me!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan, nicely done...I have to admit though, when I first saw it all I could hear is the voice from the original version of "The Fly" calling out "Help me, help me!" . Nice composition, wonderful color...on this one I do find myself wishing for a little more DOF, but not much..just a touch, to bring more of the spider into focus...the OOF web actually lends a good feeling of depth to the image. You're making good use of the 100mm macro!

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice image,like the BG,and I like the detail in the spider and fly.thanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel. An excellent find! I like the clean background, the natural light, the comp, and you have very good sharpness on the fly. I can't help wishing for enough DOF to also get the spider sharp as I think that would put this one well over the top. Under the conditions (hh, wind) you didn't have too many options given your camera settings. One thing you could try in these situations is to back off a little from 1:1 magnification which will automatically gain you more DOF - then you can do some cropping in pp. With a 7D, you can do a fair amount of cropping and still have an outstanding image for web presentation (but I'm sure you already know that ).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Daniel. I really like the mummified fly and lovely bg. A good suggestion about backing off and then cropping back in.

It is a whole new world out there in macro and in the backyard yet.

Dave

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all! Yep, a whole other world out there. With this new lens I've been having fun trying to get real close to the tiny subjects...so much so that I agree that I should back up a bit in some cases to help with DOF if SS is an issue. Even just a couple of inches would help lots. Thanks for the feedback!

Jack, interesting tidbit there!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Daniel, yes sometimes with macro there is such a thing as too close!

Considering the conditions and that this was shot HH, I think this is fantastic. More DOF would have been nice but that wasn't in the cards. I particularly like the multiple strands leaving the frame in the LR. Well done!

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Daniel,
    I think this is excellent......but I do wish for a bit more DOF......you know me. I need to convince you to whip out the flash to get more DOF! Nice to see you exploring macro!!!