Thread: Lotus Detail

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lotus Detail

Attached Images Attached Images

I've been sitting on this one for a while...I wasn't quite sure where to go with it, and I'm still not totally sold on the image. Shot early in the lotus season with a 180mm, f/22@1/60. Processed the RAW file in LR; used Viveza in PS to do some regional toning and saturation...cropped a bit from all sides to tighten the composition and evict some stray elements. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Susan Candelario

Hi John,
    I like the soft pastel colors. I like the diagonals formed by the petals which makes it visually more dynamic. I would however consider cropping even a bit more from the top and the right side just to left of the broken petal. I think that would make for a stronger, tighter comp for a detail image. Also maybe taming the whites in the upper part to bring some more detail out. Then again this is a matter of personal taste & preference. Let's see what others think. I think you captured a very good base image. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
    Last edited by Susan Candelario; 08-10-2011 at 03:37 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Susan,

Thank you for the comments and suggestions...always good to hear your thoughts...is this along the lines of what you had in mind?

Susan Candelario

Hi John,
    Good job! Looks like your slight adj brought out some more detail in the brighter area. Here is what I was visualizing more or less. Again just my two cents. Perhaps even less of a crop would also work for me. I just feel the broken piece in the petal on the right breaks the flow. I feel that by cropping you also get a feeling of tension, which I like.
    I really like your original... just feel a few minor tweaks will complete it and take over the top for me.
    Last edited by Susan Candelario; 08-10-2011 at 05:21 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ohhhhhh.......NOW I understand where you were going...and I like it! I followed your suggestion...and also created a curve layer with a mask and lightened the left side about 30%...I think it helps bring a bit more pop to the image...this is getting much closer to what I originally hoped for..just need a little coaxing from you! Thank you for your comments and suggestions!!

Susan Candelario

WOW... Your repost rocks, John. Love it.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey John,
    I should be finishing packing......but figured I'd drop by! The last repost works for me very well......but pane #3 worked for me too......minus eliminating the 1 petal as shown in the repost. Nicely seen and great job with the suggestions!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John. I think I'll file another minority report. This is, of course, highly subjective, but this image is not working as well for me as for the folks above. While the light, sharpness, and DOF are all well handled, I'm not finding a compelling center of interest in this image. My eye is just kind of bouncing around with no solid anchor point to come back to. Of the reposts above, I think I prefer the relative simplicity of those in panes 4 & 5.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John,

I was interested in the comments above. To my eyes the strongest element in the comp is the middle petal, and that is void of anything to hold my eye. I'm wondering if you included the stem from which the petals were radiating, that that may have provided an "anchor" and additional interest, as Steve calls it. The technicals are well handled as usual. There is something you were trying to show here.....if it works for you, then that's it!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sue, Roman, Steve and Jay...

This has been - is - an interesting thread. I do think the image has improved since the conversation has gone along, but Steve and Jay make a good point for me...the image is technically sound, it has "pretty" qualities...but does it really have a focal point? A story to tell? Something that draws the viewer in beyond delicate texture and pastel colors? Now that it's been "named"...it gives me more food for thought. I still think there was an image there that day...and I don't think this image is totally without merit...but I don't think it has the strength to really stand out on its own, at least not as captured. Good feed back from all of you!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice textures and colours. Well exposed. I'm wondering if having left a bit more room at bottom to prevent the central petal being clipped at bottom edge would have been a good thing or not.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel, thank you for your comments. I don't like giving up on an image..and this one still was quite what I had hoped for...but I couldn't bring myself to delete it! I coaxed a bit more of the pastel colors out of it...added a bit to the bottom per your suggestion...a tweak here and there, and changed the crop a bit, rebuilding the one petal in the URC that was "dented"...looking forward to comments on the repost.