Thread: Moeraki Boulders #3, New Zealand

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Moeraki Boulders #3, New Zealand

Attached Images Attached Images

This is the last of the Moeraki Boulders images; and, the first shot!

As a result of obtaining the Viewing Angle Guage for my laptop screen, I went back to the drawing board and reprocessed this image. Very different; not nearly as saturated as originally processed!!

Camera: 5D2
    Capture date/time: 29 Apr 11; 4:13PM
    Light condition: setting sun
    Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
    Focal length:27mm
    Distance:
    Extender: none
    Tube: none
    Flash/Comp:
    ISO: 100
    Exp Prog: Av
    Speed: 60 sec
    Aperture: f/18
    Exp Comp: none
    Metering: Evaluative
    WB: Auto
    AF Drive: One-shot AF
    Tripod: yes
    Filter: SR RGNDs and GNDs
    Crop: some
    Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3 and CS5, Nik and Pixel Genius Software.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!
    Last edited by Jay Gould; 08-04-2011 at 06:28 PM.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, this is stunning...I have GOT to make it to New Zealand some day! My only comment is that I wish I could see just a HINT of detail/texture in the foreground rocks...but that's a matter of personal taste. The image is beautiful!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, Overall another winner! Good placement of rocks in the foreground with only wanting a small amount more room on the bottom. Beautiful color with sand patterns having interest and taking the eye further out.
    Finally, a beautiful glow with the mist on the upper right adding another element. Well seen and handled!

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Jay,
    Loving everything about this one! I like the placement and separation in the rocks....the colors.....and the gradient of light from dark to light. Works for me all around!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful colors Jay and I love the middle of the image. I would be tempted to crop this even more into a Pano by cropping off the bottom about 1/2 way between the single rock and the group of rocks.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Don; I looked at that crop. When you remove the front rock the remaining rocks become a barrier cutting off the eye naturally gravitating to the background along the sand lines. With the front rock you skip from boulder to boulder and then up the sand.
    Last edited by Jay Gould; 08-06-2011 at 09:31 AM.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, a very, very lovely image. The colors are beautiful

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very striking image Jay! I love the colors and the rocks and sand patterns.

Robert Amoruso

Agree with the above, but would suggest lightening the FG, especially on the LR somewhat. I find that it draws my eye too much for too long a time.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Amoruso View Post
    Agree with the above, but would suggest lightening the FG, especially on the LR somewhat. I find that it draws my eye too much for too long a time.
    Hi Robert, thanks for your continuing assistance to make me a better landscape photographer.

In this case, if I lighten the foreground it would be very artificial. The location of the sun is obvious and there is a slight rise between the foreground and mid-ground that is causing the shadow. That is also why the backs of the boulders are so dark.

I will do an RP lightening the suggested area as soon as I alight; not too sure it will work.

Cheers,
    Cheers, Jay