Thread: Along The Road, South Island, NZ

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Along The Road, South Island, NZ

Attached Images Attached Images

Stopping along the road the sun - at least for a moment blazed through the clouds - requiring a quick -1EV and then some more images were grabbed in the moment.

Camera: 7D
    Capture date/time: 26 Apr 11; 11:15AM
    Light condition: sunny
    Lens: 70-200 f/2.8
    Focal length: 70
    Extender: none
    Distance: Inf
    Tube: none
    Flash/Comp: no
    ISO: 400
    Exp Prog: Av
    Speed: 1/500 sec
    Aperture: f/13
    Exp Comp: -1
    Metering: Evaluative
    WB: Auto
    AF Drive: AI Servo
    Tripod: yes
    Filter: SR GND
    Crop: minimal
    Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR 3 and then CS5

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whoo Jay,

I like this and find it very inviting...The image has a nice splay of colour and terrain and is complete with the clingy white clouds that gave Aotearoa its name. I don't have any suggestions on how you might improve it however...

DON

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Jay,
    Clouds look a bit hot ......so I'd tone them down a bunch to get all the detail. As usual, we have to chose where to compose at the base.....and while the trees at the bottom arent too bothersome.....I can also envision this as a pano with all of the Greenish FG out (stop at the dead tree tops)! I think once you toned down the brightest band in the clouds, I'll re-evaluate the pano crop idea!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, agree with Roman on toning down the clouds a bit. However, I do like the comp as is. The different layers of green and color adds to the images interest and by cropping off the bottom the clouds even become more dominant. My suggestion would be to take out the center green tree top in the foreground....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dave, I am a bit confused by your crop suggestions. Do any of you see an unacceptable purple cast? Thanks all for suggestions. As usual I will do some RPs after I understand the suggestions.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Roman Kurywczak

Clouds appear a bit purple....mostly in the darker areas.

Robert Amoruso

Jay,

I like the crop and agree on the cloud suggestions. Purple cast is present.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, I can see how you can think I suggested a crop. I didn't...I liked the OP. I just stated that with the suggested crop the clouds become more prominent...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the comp, it is just too contrasty for me, and the light looks a bit harsh.
    I would run a bit of NR and soften it a bit. Just a thought.
    Dan Kearl

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jay , You have some rocking images from NZ
    TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Dave - Good!! I played with crops and did not like any.

Mates over on NatureScapes indicated a magenta cast. I did an Auto Curves at 35% - that was as far as I could take it and not remove too much of the warmth where it belongs.
    Cheers, Jay

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, I started working on the image and a friend came over and pulled me away. When I came back I had a brief power outage and lost the work. I selected the areas Iwanted to change and used selective color to get rid of the cast. The center white mountain and areas to the rt took their natural color. What surprised me was that some areas on the mountain are green(trees) and not magenta. It's a good tool to learn how to work with and suggest you play with it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
    Hi Jay, I started working on the image and a friend came over and pulled me away. When I came back I had a brief power outage and lost the work. I selected the areas Iwanted to change and used selective color to get rid of the cast. The center white mountain and areas to the rt took their natural color. What surprised me was that some areas on the mountain are green(trees) and not magenta. It's a good tool to learn how to work with and suggest you play with it.
    Thanks Dave, can you describe the use of the tool in a bit more detail - education for everyone.
    Cheers, Jay