Thread: fall dragon

john crookes

Default fall dragon

While out photographing fall migrants i found this guy resting on a gone to seed weed

Nikon D2X
    400mm
    1.7ext
    1/180th
    f8
    ISO 200
    Last edited by john crookes; 01-04-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Robert O'Toole

Hi John, nice Dfly image. I like the sharpness and the clean BG. The subject is in great shape, no wing tears or frayed edges.

The sunlight is a problem, a diffuser or a well placed cloud :) would have really helped tone down the contrast and made the image much better. Also it would be better to avoid clipping the perch on the left or better yet since the perch is a little washed out, I would try a horizontal crop and show less of the perch, or crop some of the bottom edge.

Anyway nice image.

Thanks for sharing,

Robert

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, Nice of this Dfly to drop by for a grab shot!! Nits already mentioned by Robert. Good effort!

Mike Moats

Hey John, Robert has a good point about the diffuser and would give it a different look with less contrast, but for me I don't mind the contrasty light as I think it has an interesting look to it. I like the idea of a horizontal crop.

Roman Kurywczak

I'm with Mike on this one as to the lighting and the crop. I think the DOF is fine and the BG is great.
    Roman

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

john, i think it is great. i love the detail, the perch and the clean bg. congrats on the shot.

Jonathan Michael Ashton

Nice shot, I suspect the composition would be difficult to resolve as the seed head lends itself to a vertical shot and the Dragonfly (a ruddy darter??) more to a landscape format. I would like to have seen more of the body in focus, I may have tried to increase the contrast a little on the veination in the wings.
    Jon

Gus Cobos

Very nice image John,
    Love the background colors, and the details of your subject..
    Congrats...:D