Thread: Hot Spring Sunset Yellowstone

Jess Lee

Default Hot Spring Sunset Yellowstone

Attached Images Attached Images

Autumn sunset lines up nicely on some of the hot springs in Yellowstone. It took a little patience but we caught this one epupting during some pretty nice light.
    1DS mk lll, 24 mm T/S, f 5, 1/30. ISO 400
    Thanks for looking

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

jesse...You have a beautiful sky but you need some shadow detail in the foreground. You could try shadow/ highlights in Photoshop or possibly do a double processing. Other alternatives include a graduated neutral density filter when you take the shot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the colours and the sky in this jess. I agree with Bob that a little extra detail in the foreground would be a lot better and I am sure you could do a little more with what you have if you so choose. But I like it just as it is too...

DON

Jess Lee

Thanks for your input Guys! Yes it would be pretty simple to put a little more detail in the geyser terraces. In this shot I like the perceived mystery of the lack of detail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

To capture the photo is great; to be located near Yellowstone - Wow!

I don't mind the hot spots in this image as it ties in with the hot spots causing the geyser.

Enjoyed looking at your blog and galleries; too bad that the BLM is getting away with screwing the public yet again.

Looking forward to more of your posts; 6 :eek: ain't enough!!
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Very good as is, you are right to de empathize the foreground. Not every photo need shadow detail.

Richard
    http://picasaweb.google.com/RitchBledsoe

Robert Amoruso

Attached Images Attached Images

Jess,

I would agree the lack of FG detail is not helping your image. However, I do not feel including more detail here is the answer. IMO, a crop of the FG and left and right sides is needed. TO better illustrate my meaning I have uploaded that crop with some opening up of shadows in the clouds. The bast aspects of the image are the geyser and the sunset, and that is what I have tried to maximize. Opening up shadows lightened the FG water and created a good framing element at the bottom.

I got some weird color skewing in the clouds and steam. The original would fare better.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jess, I like what Robert did with the image on the left and right and opening up the shadows giving it alot more impact however I do like more room in the foreground. I would lighten it a bit though...

Robert Amoruso

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
    Hi Jess, I like what Robert did with the image on the left and right and opening up the shadows giving it alot more impact however I do like more room in the foreground. I would lighten it a bit though...
    Yep, I could go with a bit more in the FG. :)

I was looking to maintain water only on the lower boundary.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert, another top notch RP! This is a winner.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Jess, Been away so sorry for the late reply. Aways tough when the sun breaks through at great fountain geyser....I would use Roberts repost as a base but I would toned down both the red sat and brightness in the sun area. This one still needs a bit more tweaking.

I've got 2 few more months and I will be out there!