Thread: Garden of Eden

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Garden of Eden

Attached Images Attached Images

I was going to fill this landscape scene with lots and lots of animals but it just looked cluttered and silly. I did leave the elephants under the trees (because they were really there. ), which you may not see in the posted version as it is quite small.

I'm just not sure if the giraffe should move further into the frame, however I quite liked the way he is under the curve of the clouds with the bit of blue sky behind him. I'm also not sure about the edge filter, I think I like it but if it doesn't work for others I may be a lone voice (happens a lot..... )

Main image taken in the Mara Triangle with about 4 texture layers of varying blend modes. Clouds brought in from Lake Nakuru because I liked the way they swept around the landscape.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it! The textures and the frame work well for me. I like how the darkness seems to lead my eye to the center of the image and that lovely sky. The giraffe is in a fine position. Nice work.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Re the giraffe. I think your decision to use just the one animal is good. Gives the idea of the vastness of the African plain. Putting it to the side gives it a place to go and, again, the vastness concept. A few birds in the sky add interest. I think an elephant would have given more of a large, dark "blob" in the darkness of these textures The giraffe adds just the bit of color needed. Good work.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hilary, I love it. The giraffe is well placed and the texture along with the distressed look is a wonderful touch. I am wondering if it needs a very, very slight rotation. Excellent work and I would hang this if it were mine!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

WOW! Superb! Showed it to my wife, first thing she said was, "Lovely, I have been there." She loved Kenya, and would love to go back . . .

I agree with Denise about being a "Wall hanger."

Looking forward to more

Gus

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the feedback Hazel & Anita.

Denise, I also wondered about a slight rotation but using the ruler gave me 0degrees so I was thinking it might be the texture layer. I'll look at that before printing.

I have a review with several art agents/ gallery owners to assess my portfolio so I'm grateful for the suggestions of all the images I've posted here. Quite nervous really!!

Thank you Gus (and Gus's wife), that reaction gives me a little more confidence for the review.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it, even like the edge filter which I normally don't. One little nit is I'd like to see it a tad lighter in the lower left corner, but that would also mean the dark cloud above would need to be a tad lighter and than may not work. The birds in the sky add a lot of interest that really helps set the shot off more.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary Hann View Post
    Thank you for the feedback Hazel & Anita.

Denise, I also wondered about a slight rotation but using the ruler gave me 0degrees so I was thinking it might be the texture layer. I'll look at that before printing.

I have a review with several art agents/ gallery owners to assess my portfolio so I'm grateful for the suggestions of all the images I've posted here. Quite nervous really!!

Thank you Gus (and Gus's wife), that reaction gives me a little more confidence for the review.

Hilary, Don't be nervous you will be fantastic and they will LOVE your work!!Keep us posted!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hilary, this is a wonderful creation. Bit of blue sky, and the giraffe placement is perfect. I really love your tapestry works, and would like to see one of these in large print format someday.
    Your work will shine with the gallery owners/agents, and you have a recognizable style in your work. I knew it was one of yours before I saw the name.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hillary, I can be wordy but in this case I'll sum it up with one word. Excellent!!

Brendan Dozier

This looks great, Hilary! The giraffe is well placed, nice choice for sky and beautiful texture work as usual. I also noticed a need for a slight CC rotation. You put so much creativity, thought and TLC into your art, you can really see how much you care about the subject matter. Good luck with your portfolio review!

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Hilary,
    This has an almost dream like quality to it. I usually don't like borders.....but this works for me all around!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can't add much thats not already been said, I liked the Buffalo & herd image a while back and love this one. This image I would hang on a wall. Lovely

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all so much, I feel much more confident. I will definitely tend to the rotation.

I'll let you know how I go.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hilary, I'm a little late, but I've loved the series and this one is just as nice as the others. Good luck with your presentation - I'm sure it'll go well
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hilary, this is absolutely beautiful! Love the composition with the birds and giraffe, and the textures are perfect. The only thing I might change, and this is very minor, would be to lighten the LLC a tiny bit. Good luck with your portfolio review!
    God Bless
    Christopher, Old Photo Master and Master Texturizer

Old Memories Photography

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely super Hilary, I love it! I think the giraffe is in the perfect spot and I wouldn't change a thing.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Hilary, agree with everything already said. Superb treatment. Best of luck to you with the galleries and agents.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's perfect Hilary, I wouldn't change a thing! Very nice work which I'm sure will be appreciated by the galleries.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hilary....I like the placement of the giraffe,texture work is great!I would agree that the LLC be lightened a bit. Good Luck!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Hilary, just love the 'Out of Africa' effect here, and I too like the placement of the giraffe. I like the bush, and the soaring vultures add interest. Great work.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone, I hope to fix the llc as well and as it is just a texture layer it shouldn't be too hard.