Thread: Seaside Monarch

john crookes

Default Seaside Monarch

This was photographed during the fall migration two years ago in Westport MA

Nikon D200
    17-55 2.8
    f13
    ISO 100
    1/100th

off camera flash set to TTL

P.S.

the honey bee was a bonus
    Last edited by john crookes; 01-04-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, I am rather fond of wide-angle close-ups and this one works very well. I like you thoughtful composition but feel a slither of sky cropped from the top would further strengthen the image. Well done!!!

Robert O'Toole

Love to see close up WA habitat images. This one is great. I like the image as is so there are no major issues for me, just a good image.

As minor points I would have liked to see more of the nice curve of the shoreline in the image, maybe from a higher perspective. Also with this angle the image is sliced by the horizion almost down the center. Also I would have bracketed focus distances to make sure you have the entire image in focus, this requires masking 2 or more images though but the work is worth it.

Robert

Mike Moats

Hey John, this is a really nice idea, sharp details on the Bfly, and I think it works okay with the slightly blured BG, and would also like it if the BG was in focus. I would have shot as you did for this effect but also would have shot with the lens stopped down all the way and then see what worked best when I got home.

Vincent Grafhorst

Great image John, nice composition. The DOF is fine IMO, the blurred BG pulls the eye to the main subject. I would be interesting though to try and blend images with different DOF, I must say I have never done that.