Thread: Visiting Camas, Washington 7/19

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Visiting Camas, Washington 7/19

Hi all! I'll be visiting recently relocated family in Camas from July 19-24. I will likely have early mornings to myself for photography. Interested in photographing the local birds and scenery. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

1. Ridgefield NWR(north on I-5 to Ridgefield exit, then west until you reach the town. Look for the left turn then up the hill, take a right through gate with RNWR sign. Another unit is just north of the town of Ridgefield).
    2. Just east of Camas on hiway 14 is Steigerwald NWR. http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/index.cfm?id=13556
    3. Sauvie Island (Oregon - cross into Portland, find 30 west to turn onto Sauvies Island. You will need to purchase a daily parking pass for most birding areas. Look on the map for Retenaar Road. Also travel to the ends of Oak Island Road, Reeder Road and NW Sauvie Island road. Stop at Wapato State Park area.
    4. Smith and Bybee Lakes in Portland. Do a websearch for more details.
    5. For scenery -- Drive 14 up the gorge. Watch for the pullout on right with overlook of entire Valley (afternoon light). Continue on 14 to Beacon Rock - climb to top. Continue to The Dalles (or Cross over at Hood river or Cascade Locks) to Oregon side, and return on I-84 to Portland, crossing back on I205 to Washington. Suggest, if not weekend when waterfalls are choked with people, watch for the waterfalls route (to Multnomah Falls) but there are many along the route up to Crown point then follow it to Troutdale where you rejoin I-84.
    6. North of Camas -- you can access Mt St Helens. West side up I-5 to exit 49, then east through Toutle all the way up to the observation buildings. Or the south side -- google Ape Cave and take a walk through a mile and a half lava tube. And if you want to really get close and look into the Crater of Mt St Helens, google Windy Point and look up the route on forest service roads to get to the east side.
    7. Much further north - Mt Rainier. You could continue on the forest roads from Windy point to the SE corner of Mt Rainier with the Old Growth forest and many waterfalls. Continue up to Sunrise. Check whether Sunrise is open - lots of snow this year at altitude.
    8. Much further west -- drive up to Longview then take 4 to 101 to Long Beach and Cape Disappointment. Unfortunately the nicer of the 2 lighthouses (north light) is shrouded and undergoing restortion for the next 2 years. But the views are fine.

Lots to see and do -- these are just a few of the fun things you could do near Vancouver.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh, and all Washington state parks are now charging fees. Part of the new state budget as of June 2011.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you, Don!