Thread: Syrphid fly

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Syrphid fly

Attached Images Attached Images

A couple of yeas ago, I was playing with a Canon Digital Rebel to see what it would do on a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (a difficult lens to use because of the short working distance). I was impressed with the image quality especially since I was not using a tripod. The image of the fly is cropped ca. 10% from the right and an 8% Gaussian blur applied to the background. I did clip the distal end of the right hindwing, a result of the very small viewfinder of the Rebel i.e. I did not notice it. You can see the fly's haustellum extended as it feeds on pollen.

Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 macro lens and EOS Digital Rebel; ISO 400; Manual exposure; 1/60s at f13; Canon T24 twin flash at -1; handheld.

Robert O'Toole

Hi Keith,

Great image, looks really good, I dont mind the clip in fact I would crop it more off the left so it looks intentional.

I think the image the benefit from a little USM selectively of course.

Thanks for posting,

Robert

Robert Amoruso

Very cool Keith. I think Robert hit on the right suggestions.

Gus Cobos

Fantastic image love the rich colors, and the background. The detail on it's wing is super..
    Congrats...:D

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer as usual. "Cut don't clip" as Robbert suggests.

later and love to all the Kennedy', artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Mike Moats

Hey Keith very cool image and very good points on the "cut don't clip". Love the color combinations. Well done, and congrats on the IOTW.