Thread: Calibration Strip Tutorial

Threaded View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Calibration Strip Tutorial

Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure why I did not post his way back when :) IAC, I finally got tired of writing and re-writing this on individual threads:

The appearance of your images are determined by the viewing angle to your monitor. Get in the habit of using the calibration strip at the bottom of each BPN page to properly adjust the angle of your monitor.

First, scroll down to the bottom of any BPN page to the calibration strip. Next, adjust the angle of your monitor until you can differentiate the tonalities of the two or three dark boxes on the left and the two or three light/white boxes on the right. The last box on the left should be pretty close to black, the next, very dark grey, and the next dark grey. On the right you should be seeing close to pure white on the right, then a very light grey (nearly white) box, with a light grey box next in line.

Once you have done this you can be confident that your brightness slider adjustments during conversion (or your mid-tone slider adjustments in Levels in Photoshop) will be accurate. Get in the habit of checking the angle of your monitor regularly while you are working. Sometime I process my images at a desk, sometimes in bed, sometimes in an easy chair, and sometimes in a car (using the Think Tank Pixel Sunscreen); it is important to check the calibration strip and adjust your monitor angle regularly in order to produce consistent results.

If you find it impossible to adjust your monitor angle so that you can differentiate the light and dark boxes as above it is likely that you need to calibrate your monitor.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 05-29-2011 at 07:31 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

2. Thanks Len Modderman thanked for this post