Thread: Bristlecone Pine- IR shot-White Mountains

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bristlecone Pine- IR shot-White Mountains

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a selective blue substitution. It was interesting to do. i wonder what others think of it.
    Canon 20D Ir converstion

15mm
    1/125 sec, f/11
    Mode: Av
    Metering: Multi-segment
    Exp comp: +1
    ISO: 400

gary rouleau

Very interesting, I like it. I would have left more space between the tree and branch

gary

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gary,
    I used a 15mm fisheye and my face was planted on the ground, Could not have done that with this composition, Thanks. I thought the selective removal of the blue on some rocks was interesting, at least the most fun for me.
    I did clone out one space where the tree leaves touched the trunk, but would have liked to have more space

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve,
    I have no IR experience to speak of, but I do find the images very interesting and this is no exception. I do wonder if it needs some density--either increasing the amount of black in Selective Color, or a local contrast adjustment (USM filter 20% at Radius 50). I appreciate you're trying to present a very light toned image, and I think you can preserve that feeling while adding density to it to "ground" the image.

Robert Amoruso

Steve,

Don't they make 10mm fisheyes? You could have dug a hole. Just kidding. :)

I like the tonality of the pine and the sky but find the ground bothersome (the blueish color). I think David's suggestions are worth investigating. Like him I have no experience with IR photography so can't give and exact recommendation.

A very cool looking image.

Roman Kurywczak

Default B&W conversion

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Steve,
    Not a fan of the blue either...............but this had potential........so I took the liberty :D to try it as a B&W. First I cloned a little space by branch.......since I didn't want you digging holes! I did tone down some of the brighter spots and then jacked up H&S (around 60) Used Roberts contrast boost...........converted to greyscale......bosted contrast........and finally sharpened to bring out bark texture!
    Let me know what you think,
    Roman

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roman,
    I like what you did. I do have a B&W print of a close imae, but not as nice as this one. I have been playing with the blue conversions, which might work better in other situations, but I liked the results of the exercise.
    Robert,
    I also have not seen a 10mm fisheye, but I did buy an 8mm Peleng manual fisheye. It is a screw mount and works manually with an adapter in my 40D. the cropping factor leaves some vignetting, but not the circle fisheye effect of a full frame camera. I actually did some portraits with it and it came out with an interesting effect. Used properly, the distortion is not that noticeable. Used for fun, the distortion is amazing. the depth of field is also amazing, From inches to infinity. Wow. I should do something with it and post. That lens is a fun toy.

Jason Vaclavek

Very cool! Every element in here can hold your attention.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bein View Post
    ...I also have not seen a 10mm fisheye...
    Sigma makes a 10mm fisheye, but they want a small fortune for it (way overpriced compared to 15mm fisheyes).

A more interesting lens, to me at least, is the one that Tokina and Pentax joined forces to create: a 10-17mm fisheye zoom. It's been out for a year or two. The only frustrating this is that Tokina charges $100 more than Pentax, but only Tokina makes it for multiple mounts, so you have no choice but to pony up.