Thread: The Swans of Fairlee Creek

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Swans of Fairlee Creek

Nikon D7000 w/Nikkor f/3.5-5.6 vrII lens, tripod mounted.
    Some video clips employed a SLIK 504QF-II fluid head and/or a Rode VideoMic Pro microphone
    ISO Equivalent 400; f/7.1, aperture priority
    Matrix Metering with negative compensation applied as needed to preserve detail in whites
    Video software: iMovie '09

Earlier, on a different BPN forum, I posted a link to a video clip depicting defense of a family of Tundra swans against a pair of other approaching swans. Now, I've put that clip, other video clips, and a few still photographs, into a larger video that I hope reasonably portrays the activities of waterfowl spending this past winter on Fairlee Creek by my home. All video footage and photos were produced from my own back yard.

Along the way, I've discovered that there is much to learn about producing video using a DSLR camera, and compiling the results of my photographic efforts into a coherent video presentation. But now I've learned much more about how to set up my camera and to use the video editing software, and I've become better equipped as well. So next year's results should be better.

In any event, this has been a very enjoyable project for me. The link for my new YouTube video is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65pPtbnNQXM. Because this video shows some of the beauty and behavior of Tundra swans, I hope you will enjoy it and will offer any comments you may have.

I've posted this video link and description in the Avian: All About Birds BPN forum. But I'm posting it here also, because I'd like to know what the video experts in BPN think about this work, and things I should look out for to improve in the future.

Norm

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Norm,

That is a nice story, and the sound really adds interest. For me, I think it would flow better if the screens with the red background and white text were changed as follows. Drop the red background for the text and put the text in the scene with the swans. That would keep the viewer engaged with the main subject. In many cases, the white text could be above the birds, so people can view the action that is being explained.

You have great sound! What microphone were your using?

Regarding the red text and sound, the silence during the text+red background really breaks up the flow. If the red backgrounds were deleted, I would carry the sound through continuously. I think that would have great impact. Perhaps even drop the sound at the beginning and fade in the sounds of the birds. Or if you want music, how about swan lake?

That brings up another subject. What about copyright on music? Are there some sources of copyright-free music people can use?

Roger

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post
    Hi Norm,

That is a nice story, and the sound really adds interest. For me, I think it would flow better if the screens with the red background and white text were changed as follows. Drop the red background for the text and put the text in the scene with the swans. That would keep the viewer engaged with the main subject. In many cases, the white text could be above the birds, so people can view the action that is being explained.

You have great sound! What microphone were your using?

Regarding the red text and sound, the silence during the text+red background really breaks up the flow. If the red backgrounds were deleted, I would carry the sound through continuously. I think that would have great impact. Perhaps even drop the sound at the beginning and fade in the sounds of the birds. Or if you want music, how about swan lake?

That brings up another subject. What about copyright on music? Are there some sources of copyright-free music people can use?

Roger
    Thanks Roger. Your ideas on text placement are interesting and worth exploring.

The sound for my earlier clips was recorded using the camera's own microphone, which works very well with the 28-300mm lens. It was used, e.g., in the family defense clip at the end. Later, I used the Rode VideoMic Pro. But a problem with both microphones was the wind, which occasionally caused some problems. Now, I have Rode's wind screen cover for that microphone. I'll probably rely on that shielded microphone in the future, unless I'm traveling by air.

Finally, copyright can be a problem. Since I used only a tiny segment of a CD that I purchased and own and my video is educational and not commercial, I think it falls under the fair use exception. But there is no question that if a more extensive recording is used, you must avoid potential copyright issues.

Norm