Thread: Frost

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Frost

Hi,

Made this image about 200 metres away from my residence at a semi-frozen pond.
    A layer/crest of ice on top of the water which was gradually melting formed lovely patterns. The dry/wilted 'post-autumn' leaves which lie beneath this crest, summed up a beautiful combination of subtle colours under the diffracted rays of sunlight.

Have been seeing Mike Moats' interesting macros & wanted to experiment on similar lines. This ofcourse is no match to his scores of images...

Nikon D70s + Nikkor 105mm VR micro.
    f13, 1/60, ISO200, @105mm + tripod for support.
    Worked on curves, a wee bit of saturation/sharpness + some burning.

Was wondering if I should saturate it a bit more...?

Crtiques welcome. Suggestions to improve the image would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Kaushik Balakumar; 03-23-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added tech details

Robert O'Toole

I like the stained glass effect and the soft colors but the ice object at the top ruins the continuity.

Overall I think if that part of the image was cropped it out it would work better as an closeup abstract.

Robert

Mike Moats

Hey Kaushik, Very cool abstract, like the shapes, color, shading, and would agree the image could do well with just the bottom portion alone. Well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Mike, I think you meant to start a new thread?

As for Kaushik's image, I immediately get a weird feeling looking at it as I see the profile of somebody lying sideways under the ice. Don't mean to take away from it, its just one of those odd things that happen sometimes with shapes/colours. Here is how I see it:

Mike Moats

Hey Kaushik, Sorry I posted my image in your thread.