BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Two interpretations: Burned out church

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 5D & 24-70 f/2.8L @ 24mm, Really Right Stuff MPR-CL II
    Exposed 1/400 sec. at f/8, ISO 160
    Nine vertical captures stitched together with Autopano Pro
    Church of Prince Williams Parish, Sheldon, S.C. (burned by British forces in the Revolutionary War and again by Union troops in the Civil War)

After assembling this image I spent a few hours tinkering with its presentation. Specifically, modifying the colors and shadows with Curves & Selective Color. By the time I was done, I began to wonder: how would this look in black & white? Now I'm not sure which version I should prefer! I come from such a color-oriented view of the world that I have difficulty "seeing" in black and white and therefore I never compose for it. Such thoughts of black & white are always after-the-fact, and I'm never quite sure if they're appropriate for the subject or not. In this case, I like the color version, but I think I might like the b&w version even better (I will post it below momentarily as I can only post one image per posting). All feedback is greatly appreciated!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black & White (sepia tone added)

Attached Images Attached Images

Same image as above, but with a b&w treatment and sepia tone.

Dave Phillips

you drew me in David.
    I like the color as it is what I would expect to see, however it makes it appear as a modern day view of an old ruin
    On the other hand, the sepia takes me back in time as a viewer.....it's more an image "of the time"

hope that makes sense...as a big wallhanger, I prefer the sepia

Todd Frost

While both versions are good, I too prefer the sepia tone.
    Todd

Maxis Gamez

Terrific. I like both!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maxis Gamez View Post
    Terrific. I like both!
    Maxis,
    If you had to pick one, which would it be?

Gayle Clement

I like the sepia one much more, David. I find the shadows a bit distracting in the color version and in the sepia version they add to the mood.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My first reaction was to choose the B&W/sepia; but then on reflection and closer viewing, I felt that the tones in the structure were too close to the foliage in the background trees, so there isn't enough separation between the two - particularly in the just left of centre area. I like the composition, and think it works best in the colour version.

Gerald

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i'm a softie for b&w anyway and this scene's time signature lends itself to b&w. i like the b&w. great job with the pano and the compo. also great job with the light in the b&w.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I much prefer the color version of this one. Neat!

gary rouleau

I prefer the b&W version, its more dramatic.

gary

Judd Patterson

I have to go with the color version on this one...for me the B&W just looses that special quality of light that is evident in the color. Nice work David! I really like the 'outside' showing through all the arches as well as the unique arches shadows.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For me this works better in color. For this image, the b&w just doesn't put me in 'days gone by' which is what I like most about b&w images.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, thank you for all of the input! I'll admit that I think I liked the idea of the black and white version more than it's implementation. I think Gerald put into words the problem that I felt existed but couldn't identify with the b&w version. I think b&w is something I'd like to explore more often, but I'm never quite sure when to use it.

Cheers!
    David

David Steele

I love B&W but for this image colour rules!

John Wilkerson

David I love the black and white. I live near New Orleans and there is a contest taking entries there that this one is made for. Its called Abstractions in the landscape. You can find out more here http://www.neworleansdarkroom.com/ga...cape/call.html
    I think it fits well in the contest.

Gus Cobos

Hey David,
    BLACK and WHITE all day long for this capture. B&W sets a different tone and mood.
    Like it very much...:D

Beth Goffe

David, I prefer the B&W as well. I appreciate the mood and it draws me in more than the color version. I feel like I can just sit and stare at it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey David, I prefer the B&W here. You know, however, that I do not like filtered light for birds, and in both images the shadows bug me, especially those falling on the outer edges of the two walkways(???) in the foreground... Go back on a cloudy day
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.