Thread: Spider Mum

Ed Vatza

Default Spider Mum

I haven't posted here in a little while so I thought I would drop back in, say hi, and post this image of a spider mum that I made last evening using my XT and Sigma 70mm Macro lens along with a 430 EX Flash with Soft Box. I had a lot of fun playing with the whites on this and a white rose.

2 sec at f/22; ISO 200; EC +1 2/3; FEC +1 2/3.

Last edited by Ed Vatza; 03-24-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Robert O'Toole

The shapes and details are interesting, i like it.

There are a lot of distracting halos that could have been avoided. This is casued by oversharpening the edges. You can easily avoid this by adding a step to remove, either mask or erase the edges after you sharpen. This would help make the image even more pleasing.

Robert

Mike Moats

Hey Ed, I like the comp, I can't seem to see the halos that Robert is able to see, but I'm veiwing it on a laptop, so can't give any opinion on this. I like the lighting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ed - welcome back! I like your composition here with the petals radiating outin all directions and the way you have handled the whites - Well done!!
    Robert must have younger eyes than me as I can't see the halos either!

Robert O'Toole

Attached Images Attached Images

Halos are all along each petal that is set against black. They are very obvious, never knew I had such good vision :)

Here is a 200% crop, these should be easily visible now.

Robert

Ed Vatza

Thanks all. I appreciate the criticisms and discussion. I was hard pressed to see the halos until you did the 200% crop.Then I saw what you were talking about. I guess I was just looking at it differently. :)