Thread: Dry Tortugas

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dry Tortugas

I am considering a trip to Key West with visiting family and want to take a birder to the Dry Tortugas. This would be around April 9-10.

I know this is a special location for birding, but is it also a great location for bird photography? I am used to shooting at Ft Desoto and LEL and I am wondering if I would be able to get out in the water with my tripod like I do at these locations? Who has been there, and any advice you can offer?

I am interested in shooting the Noddy's, terns, and sooties and the birder is interested in seeing warblers and passing migratory birds. Will we both be happy?

I am aware that the National park service only allows the one company to do trips out there now.

cheers
    Gavin

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wwith a quick search here not too much came up. I did find a thread from two years ago.

Will the various keys with the nesting birds be off limits in April? Can you only get to these by boat? Is there much bird photo action at ft jefferson?

Judd, I know you were (still are?) a moderator for the once really active Florida section here, are you still around? In my online research I did find a couple of your images in 2006, and would love to know more about the National park.

cheers
    Gavin

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gavin,

Looks like your PM box is full. I got a failure response when i responded to your email.

No birds nest on main island on which fort is located. Most of the nesting is on a key right across from the fort. You need a boat to photograph on this island and no access to visitors. Other than the fort rest of the keys are off limit to visitors.

I made only one trip to ft jefferson and my knowledge is limited. There were all kinds of birds flying around but little too far from the fort. Noddys were hanging on south side of the port and provided some good photo ops. Some frigate bird photo ops also. You will see regular waders like great blues, egrets and ibis waiting for hand offs at the dock.

regarding migratory birds it is a hit or miss. I kept track of migration radar and chose thebest time to go there. Unfortunately we had 30mph winds one night out of 2 nights and we did not see any migratory birds.

Fantastic night photo ops and star trail ops.

-Sid

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sid:

thanks for the response. I wil check the issue with my pm box.

OK looks like i might give it a miss as I would only be able to do the day trip to ft jefferson.

cheers
    gavin

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Spooner View Post
    Sid:

thanks for the response. I wil check the issue with my pm box.

OK looks like i might give it a miss as I would only be able to do the day trip to ft jefferson.

cheers
    gavin
    Gavin,
    I was just out there (2 weeks ago) and the only real bird photography op is the frigate birds depending on the prevailing winds....there was a strong East wind (20mph+) and they were hanging just above the fort on the east side. I got a lot of photos. Also a couple of Pelican fly bys.... the other birds are too small and too far away for photo purposes on the island like Sid said. You can access the roof of the fort to take photos of the frigates up close...I used my 100-400mm...
    Mike