Thread: Corny???

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Corny???

Attached Images Attached Images

Linda Robbins brough this young Corn Snake to the recently concluded SW FLA IPT. Her neighbor was gonna kill it. While killing time waiting for the nice light at Little Estero Lagoon we posed the snake in a tree in the Holiday Inn parking lot. The BKGR is the wall. I made many tighter images but this, the first one that I created, turned out to be my favorite.

It had been quite a while since I dusted off the 180 macro lens and the Macro Twin Light. I wound up using that combo again the next day. The group took turns using my set-up. I let them put their flash card in the camera but always made them start from scratch as far as positioning the tripod and creating the image design.

Canon 180mm macro lens with macro twin light at -1 with 1:4 ratio. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/100 sec. at f/5.6 on Mongoose M2.3 tripod.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

later and love and thanks Linda, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful Snake. Hard to believe some would just indiscriminately kill it :( I wish the upper part of the snake were in focus as well as the lower part.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Cordes View Post
    Beautiful Snake. Hard to believe some would just indiscriminately kill it :( I wish the upper part of the snake were in focus as well as the lower part.
    Yes, hard to believe. Forgot to mention that Linda released the snake in a natural area near her home (after a 200 mile round trip journey by car...)

As for more d-o-f, not my style and in this case, it would have brought up the stucco detail in the wall.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Alfred Forns

Nice snake Artie Didn't think you guys had a chance of keeping it around once out of the box !!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful pattern display Artie and great colours. I find reptiles always a problem to compose in the frame but the S curve of the neck really works well here - A flick of the tongue would have put it over the top ;)
    Is the corn snake venomous?
    Last edited by John Cooper; 03-22-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Robert O'Toole

Cool comp and cute little guy..

No john corn snakes are not dangerous, they are really gentle and usually calm and easy to handle. They are a sp of Rat Snake and they are usually very reluctant to bite. They are very popular as pets. They are called corn snakes since they were once found in corn fields.

Robert

Mike Moats

Hey Arthur, nice pose, and good job on the BG, as you pointed out it was a stucco wall.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert O'Toole View Post
    Cool comp and cute little guy..

No john corn snakes are not dangerous, they are really gentle and usually calm and easy to handle. They are a sp of Rat Snake and they are usually very reluctant to bite. They are very popular as pets. They are called corn snakes since they were once found in corn fields.

Robert
    Thanks for the info Robert!!