Thread: Red-winged Black Bird

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-winged Black Bird

Red-winged Blackbird

D7000 300mm F4 w/1.7 tc, 1/400th, F10, -.33 bias, 560 ISO

Tempting this and a few companion birds to the backyard feeders yesterday, the perch found some sun and what I think is a reasonable shot of this species. Having taken many dozens of shots with limited success, this one was the best. Can anyone give me some tips on how to deal with the dark color, the glare off the feathers and the difficulty of getting detail of the feathers. Thanks for any advice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You have done quite well with everything that you asked about. I have found that black glossy subjects are best photographed in overcast conditions without flash.... I like your pano crop that fits the bird's posture.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you, Artie. Please allow me to expand on my questions. I asked about problems I'd been having and of which I was aware. What about things I didn't ask about of which I may be unaware?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW Mike. Aside from the somewhat harsh light the perch is a bit large for the bird (and is not too interesting). And the big trunk in the BKGR is a big trunk.

From where you stood with the gear you had you did very well.

RWBBs are a difficult bird to photograph....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with what Artie has said above...any glossy bird can run tricks on a camera sensor's mind

what time of day was this? the light appears harsh but I'm not sure if it is only the result of the flash on the iridescence of the feathers, or if the light was harsh to begin with
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This was an early afternoon shot with full sun at my back. Perhaps I should have tried a lower exposure bias to help compensate. I don't know if that would have helped or not.

Regarding the perch, this is an instrument of my creation. What would you suggest that would be more appropriate and interesting?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you picked and put that perch in place you should be arrested by the Set-Up Police :)

You need to pick a thinner perch for smaller birds, try to find one with character, and consider your BKGR more carefully.

There is an extensive primer (pages 395-432) on setting up your backyard in APB II (916 pages on CD only).

Alan Murphy's Guide to Songbird Set-ups is for those who have mastered the basics and want to take their set-ups to the next level.

ps: What is the fish????

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, I consider myself incarcerated for that improper perch blunder. I'll study that issue. Thanks for your help.

The fish is a European Brown Trout caught from and released back to the White River in North Arkansas.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good plan and thanks for the fish info.