Thread: Osprey in flight

Peter Farrell

Default Osprey in flight

Attached Images Attached Images

The Osprey have begun to return to thier nests in this area. Late overcast afternoon near Jamestown, VA. Sony A700, 70-400G, f6.3, 1/640, iso800, +2.3ec. Levels and sharpen. I selectively reduced the yellow channel on the underwings to reduce a yellowish cast.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Removed the BLUE cast with a Robert O'Toole Average Blur Color Balance as described in Digital Basics. Learn about the most recent update here. Next I put the whole image on its own layer, added 70 points of BLACK to the WHITEs in Selective Color, and then use a Layer Mask to erase the effect on the bird only. This served to darken the sky nicely. Again as described in DB.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp with a nice COMP. I am not a big fan of the position of the bird's left wing; would have preferred the bird in full soar.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, for the less educated and ignorant (me) here, what is the white halo (at least I seem to see it on my monitor)?
    Thank you for posting this Peter, as said, nice and sharp.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tom, Thanks for catching my somewhat shoddy efforts. The BIG white halo (which I did not notice) came from the sloppy technique that I used when darkening the sky.

Peter Farrell

Arthur, Thanks for the re-post and explanation of what you did.
    Peter

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW. Sorry that I was not more careful but at leas the color was good :)

Peter Farrell

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    YAW. Sorry that I was not more careful but at leas the color was good :)

Arthur,
    Will the Digital Basics guide help me if I am only using PS Elements?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, the repost looks better. Since I am a relative newbie, I wasn't sure which part of the PP caused that.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tom, Caused what?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Farrell View Post
    Arthur,
    Will the Digital Basics guide help me if I am only using PS Elements?
    I don't know Elements well at all but I have been told in the past that about 60-70% would apply. But with the addition of the section on Layer Masking that percentage would surely go down. None-the-less, I am sure that you would learn a ton.

What are you using to convert your RAW files?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, my bad. I wasn't sure what in the PP caused the white halo. In other words, is there one step that caused the halo or was it a sum of the adjustments?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the clarification Tom. I am not positive. Sometimes you can introduce those big halos by using values that are too large when making various tonal or color adjustments. Or it is possible that I painted outside of the lines when working with a Layer Mask...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok, Thanks Artie

Peter Farrell

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I don't know Elements well at all but I have been told in the past that about 60-70% would apply. But with the addition of the section on Layer Masking that percentage would surely go down. None-the-less, I am sure that you would learn a ton.

What are you using to convert your RAW files?
    I convert my raw files with ACR that came with PS Elements. I am sure that is a scaled down version as well. Once I get back to work, I hope to be able to upgrade to CS.
    Peter