Thread: Nice Reflection.....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nice Reflection.....

Attached Images Attached Images

This is the second of 344 first cut keepers from our one sunny morning at Lake Kerkini, Greece that I am sharing here. It was magical. This Dalmatian Pelican image was created from the boat with the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS and the EOS-1D Mark IV (hand held at 125mm). ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/11.

I am sure that there will be comments about the REDs :) You had to be there.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic! Love these birds, detail on plumage incredible, pose just perfect,
    and the reds, wow!

Cheers!

Ilija

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That blue and calm water beautifully sets of the white and RED color. Perfect exposure as expected and great pose. One way this might have been even better could be if the body was more square to the camera. But that's nit-picking... Congrats. JR

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super sweet. Colors rock. There's an elegance, a quietness to this. Then I see those head feathers and it makes me laugh too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

You are sure right about the reds. I couldn't resist looking at them in PS. Only 207 in the red channel. Just amazing, I would have guessed much hotter.

Still water/reflection, nice. Love the reddish nail too.

Nice white details.

That has to be a record for you keeping that many images after the first editing pass, for a single session.

Cheers

Randy

Mike Fuhr

I remember reading that you wanted a shot of this species so I looked it up on the internet to see what it looked like (expected polka dots based on the name ). I think you really captured this one -- the sharpness and the blues contrasting with the reds are very nice. The reflection is a nice addition, as well. Much nicer than anything I saw that day ...

Did you clean up the water at all?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Artie:

You are sure right about the reds. I couldn't resist looking at them in PS. Only 207 in the red channel. Just amazing, I would have guessed much hotter.

Still water/reflection, nice. Love the reddish nail too.

Nice white details.

That has to be a record for you keeping that many images after the first editing pass, for a single session.

Cheers

Randy
    Yes a record. As for the REDs, out of camera they were pure detail-less enamel. Added 70 points of CYAN to the REDs in Selective Color. And reduced the RED saturation 10 points. But that still did not match what I saw so I added 50 points of BLACK to the REDs again in Selective Color and that was brought the RED to pretty close to what I remember.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fuhr View Post
    I remember reading that you wanted a shot of this species so I looked it up on the internet to see what it looked like (expected polka dots based on the name ). I think you really captured this one -- the sharpness and the blues contrasting with the reds are very nice. The reflection is a nice addition, as well. Much nicer than anything I saw that day ...

Did you clean up the water at all?
    Thanks Mike (and all) :) There was a bit of scuzz in the water above the bird plus a hair on the sensor and some dust spots.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is absolutely killer Artie! I love the reflection, perfect whites, and still water. Great hairdo too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

fantastic shot Artie! just enough ripple in the water to keep the image from jerking around my perception

lovely details and colours throughout!
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, have enjoyed looking at these guys. Another killer shot!

Gary.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image Arthur! I like the reflection, sharpness and exposure. I also like the subtle ripple rings around the pelican as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all. It was a wondrous trip. There are lots more images on the blog especially here. I will be doing a post of images from our lone sunny morning soon :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

great light and I like the distorted reflection.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

**** straight it's a nice reflection :eek:

Looks like it has it's hands on its hips and is scolding you haha lol

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning!!! I like the colors and reflection and of course the detail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful image Artie the colors are to die for. I have notice from your postings and blogs your use of selective color and have started to play around with it more to help accentuate colors in an image thanks for the the tip
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agreed, nice reflection with your usual great detail in the whites. Great use of dof to get the whole bird in focus. Thanks for the extra lesson on treating the reds.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all. Just got home to ILE and am cooking dinner. It is 11:10 pm in London where I was this morning :)

Ofer Levy

A pleasing image! Excellent techs, light and colours. Wish for a lower shooting angle but I guess this could have been a bit difficult from a boat with the 70-200....

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mind blowing image , Artie . The reflection , position of the beak and the exposure on the whites !! Awesome !

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, stunning shot...great reflection, calmness and the IQ. loved the reds.