Thread: Scrub Jay

David Osborn

Default Scrub Jay

I'll be staying over in Viera for a couple of days in a couple of weeks and was wondering short of driving up to Merritt Island if there were any Scrub Jay colonies closer to the Melbourne area.
    Appreciate any help if there is.
    Best regards
    David

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cruickshank Sanctuary

David,

Yes, there is somewhere much better and much closer to Viera than MINWR . The Helen and Alan Cruickshank Sanctuary, 360 Barnes Blvd., Rockledge 32955. Here is an older info handout http://www.eelbrevard.com/pubs/cruickshankbro.pdf There is now parking for about 8-10 cars at the site. It is located just north of the Viera/Rockledge line.

If you come up US-1 it is a left on Barnes Blvd. If you come up I-95 use Exit 195. The ramp ends at a traffic light. Go ahead through the light onto Barnes Blvd. passing through the light at Murell Blvd. The entrance is unmarked other than a wooden fence on the left (north) side of the road.

The Jays are very friendly. I usually use my 70-200 and carry a 1.4x in case I need it. Unlike Viera and MINWR it is a walking site. You can't drive through it. They did a controlled burn there yesterday (Thurs. 2/17) so the birds may not be as friendly as usual.

Jim

David Osborn

Thanks Jim;
    Very helpfull and much apprecaited.
    I've just checked out the link and it all looks very interesting and worth a run out.
    I take it you just need to walk the track through the site and the Jay's will find you?
    Regards with thanks
    David

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Osborn View Post
    I take it you just need to walk the track through the site and the Jay's will find you?
    David
    Yes, they are looking for people with raw peanuts Almost all of them are banded and I am told the workers use nuts to get them in and capture them. There are about nine families there so the Jays should really find you.

Barnes Blvd is also County Rt 502. If you are driving up Murrell you will see a sign welcoming you to Rockledge. Then you pass a McDonalds and Publix supermarket on the left and a 7-11, I think, right on the corner of Barnes. Turn right at that traffic light. I should take a photo of the "entrance" to the sanctuary, it's easy to miss.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Kranick; 02-18-2011 at 06:50 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have been to the Cruickshank Sanctuary and can tell you that the Scrub Jays are very friendly there. They will definitely find you if you have peanuts

David Osborn

Thanks Jim - Appreciate the help
    Thanks Maureen

David Osborn

Soryy Jim;
    I'd meant to ask when's the best time of day to visit to see the Scrub Jays/
    Or is anytime good
    Regards
    David

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I usually go there around or shortly after sunrise. It's cooler than going an hour prior to sunset.

I can't recall when I last went around sunset. Based on Viera being better in the morning than in the afternoon I would probably go to Cruickshank in the morning too.

Jim

David Osborn

Thanks Jim;
    If you get the chance to clarify exactly where the entrance is that would be appreciated.
    Are there any local landmarks that i should look out for?
    Regards
    David

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Osborn View Post
    David,

The first Jay I saw there flew up and landed on my head. :eek: After a break for lunch, I returned to find several of them waiting at the gate to greet the next visitor. If you go, I hope you have as much fun as I did.

Best of luck,

Jeff Johnston
    http://jdjohnston1960.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Select/

David Osborn

Thanks Jeff
    Appreciate the feed back - Is the reserve easy enough to find?
    Regards
    David

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cruickshank Entrance

David,

Using a program like Google Earth goto 360 Barnes Blvd. Rockledge, FL 32955. The sanctuary is on the north side of the road East of the end of the guard rails. You can see the white parking lot in the photo view.

I finally got a cell phone photo to display here, you are looking for an unmarked white sand road on the north side. If you get to the RR tracks you went too far!

Jim

David Osborn

Thanks Jim;
    That'll help greatly - most appreciated.
    VBest regards
    David