Thread: Error 50: Camera can not communicate with battery

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Error 50: Camera can not communicate with battery

I got the above message this morning on a Canon 7D. I've tried a different battery with the same error. Anybody have a suggestion how to proceed? I'm in Panama and it is pretty damp, so I assumed that was the problem. I removed the battery and gave it a good blow with a hair dryer. Still no luck.

I have a backup 5D, but I'd really like to get the 7D back in service.
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've also got this problem in dry Colorado. It comes and goes. The battery will still work, even though there's no communication. Unfortunately, there's no battery management, so the charge time is shortened. Mine comes and goes, such that it'll work one time and then the next time it might not, even with the same battery.

I think it's the camera firmware and not a humidity problem. I've haven't updated my firmware to test my theory, due to lazyness, but maybe I'll do it this weekend to see if that doesn't resolve it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Dave,

I have the latest firmware. So far, I've not experienced the come and go behavior - only go. It is now working in the uncommunicative mode

I did a Google search and so far the only solution seems to be to send the camera back to Canon.
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Dave,

A few days after reading your "it comes and goes" report, tmy 7D started working as usual giving me no clue as to why. It seemed to fix itself after one of the batteries become exhausted after only about 100 exposures (couldn't tell how many clicks because Battery Info was unavailable). The camera acted like the battery was completely exhausted, so I turned the camera off (tried the on/off trick previously with no success) and waited probably 20 min and turned it on again. To my surprise, the battery indicator on the top LCD showed partial charge (earlier, the battery icon was blank). I recharged the same battery and it has worked as expected since. The backup battery now also works as expected. Both batteries are regular issue Canon LP-E6.

Not sure what to make of the issue and not sure if I should send it back to Canon because it appears to be functioning normally. However, I'm off to Europe in about 3 wk and would not like to have a repeat of the problem then.

As I indicated in the original post, my first thought was that it was caused by the high humidity in Panama. The problem started after being in Panama for about 3d and continued for an additional 3d. If anything, the humidity was probably higher about the time the 7D/battery "fixed" itself than when it started.

Anyone have any suggestions or observations?
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Douglas, that's how mine has worked for months. After working for a week or two, the camera will say something like, "Cannot Comunicate with Battery - Cancel or Ok). I select OK and the camera works, but I can't see what's happening with the battery. Occasionally the battery will stop working after only a few shots, but if I pop in another battery (I carry three) it's ok. Because I've always been able to function I haven't sent the camera into Canon.