Thread: If you....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default If you....

Attached Images Attached Images

live within 500 miles of Gibsonton, FL, or if you can get some time off from work, you need to travel to Gibsonton, FL (you would fly into either Tampa or Clearwater/St.Pete) and get out for a few days with James Shadle on the Hooptie Deux asap. (Click on the words James Shadle for more info.)

Yesterday morning James took out a slew of BPN Mods and I personally enjoyed one of the best mornings of bird photography in my 28 years of doing this. Many of the spoonbills were in killer plumage already and even though we had a large group of folks, we were able to get quite close. Most everyone got great flight images but I choked on my very best chance....

This image was created with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens, the 1.4X III TC, and the EOS-1DMIV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/800 sec. at f/11 set manually.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

ps: I will be posting more images from the morning to my blog very soon; will return and post the link.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome! Just love the layered feather detail!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the soft pink colors and the layers the feathers create especially on the birds left wing. I also like the hint of clouds in the bg. Maybe a bit of cw rotation?
    Last edited by Duane Noblick; 02-16-2011 at 06:14 AM.

Ofer Levy

This is really beautiful! Great light and colours, perfect exposure control and a fantastic pose! Would prefer to see this as a vertical with much more room at the bottom (for the virtual leg) and some on the top.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

How is this bird standing up? Beautiful and inspiring image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Standing on one leg with no problem :)

Ofer, I had more room below but for me, the REFL in the green water was distracting so I cropped to a tight square to emphasize the plumage. I mentioned the square crop idea to James as we were photographing this gorgeous bird.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

AlvanBuckley

Great image and composition Artie. Might need a bit of CW rotation though?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous shot Artie, the feathered ladder look on the left wing is awesome.

Peter Farrell

Beautiful image, Arthur. An awsome preening pose. Fantastic lighting, color and detail. And all that at 1120mm on a boat.
    Peter

DanWalters

Great light and I like the pose of the bird. LIke that red eye as well.

Ofer Levy

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Standing on one leg with no problem :)

Ofer, I had more room below but for me, the REFL in the green water was distracting so I cropped to a tight square to emphasize the plumage. I mentioned the square crop idea to James as we were photographing this gorgeous bird.
    Would be interesting to see the original with more room at the bottom and maybe offer a different crop as composition in this one is not balanced IMO - especially as the virtual leg is cut.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Could need a bit of CW rotation now that I look more closely at the ripples in the water. Thanks Alvan.

Peter, we get out of the boat to photograph :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Ofer, Here is the full frame original image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, you have posted some amazing images on the site, but I rate this one of your best. I really like the pose, and you have nailed the exposure and colours very well. Good choice of aperture too. Take a bow here.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, agree....certainly mindblowing. what a pose....plus the colors, eye, exposure...superb. I agree with Ofer on the vertical crop suggestion. I actually liked the pink REFL that you cropped out...If mine, I'd keep some more REFL but not add at the top of the OP.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie I think awesome is an often misused word but wow this one really is! I love the colours the detail the pose and the crop - just gorgeous - congratulations!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again all :) For me it is the rows and rows of the undersides of the primaries and secondaries of the bird's left wing that make this one very special.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Totally beautiful Artie I really love the position of the wing feathers as the image really draws you through every detail. Awesome!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again all :) For me it is the rows and rows of the undersides of the primaries and secondaries of the bird's left wing that make this one very special.
    I agree.

Have you considered removing the black area what I presume is his foot at the base of its tail ?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The layering feather on the left is simply amazing. I am so jealous.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pattern captured here.. very beautifully done Guru..

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man Lee View Post
    The layering feather on the left is simply amazing. I am so jealous.
    Tin Man, Better to be envious :) But thanks and Kiran too.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the way the bill mingles with the feathers... nice job. Also thanks for the tip about getting lower to blur the background more. Going to be thinking about that this weekend.

Charles

Brendan Dozier

Great color and detail of feathers, excellent exp. Artie. Love the standing on one leg pose. See what you mean about cropping out the reflection to focus on plumage.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb image, caught at just the right moment to show the marvelous layering of feathers. Super color. Good comments above including a tad of CW rotation, and maybe a little room at the bottom, although I can see your point about concentrating on the bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely stunning image, colours, sharpness,light and pose. Agree with Stuart, it must rate right up there with your best. I prefer the crop in the OP for the reason you mentioned and the artistic feel it creates.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A stunning image Artie! You see so many images of Spoonies, but they all start looking the same after a while. This one is totally fresh.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pink and the unusual preening pose, looks like It is time to go out there again.
    Thanks for the update.

Ofer Levy

Ofer, Here is the full frame original image.
    Thanks Artie, there is not enough room at the bottom to get a well balanced vertical. Jame's similar shot shows what I had in mind.
    Still a lovely shot!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. Where did you see James' image???

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Never mind Ofer :) I found it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Forgot to Mention....

You can check out today's blog post, "A Morning in Spoonbill Heaven," here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

very cool, the colors are nice and the arrangement of feathers makes this one very unique.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

one of the best spoonbills I have seen. Very unique post as Arash stated.

Robert Amoruso

That is exactly what I was looking at. You capture him at his best Artie.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

When I die I prefer Spoonbill heaven please. Artie: most beautiful. thank you

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Continued thanks :) Mike, it is the bent ankle I believe. I would never think of removing it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have to agree with everyone here, a beautiful image Artie. Infact this is Top Class thanks for sharing