Thread: Burrowing Owls in Florida - April ok?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Burrowing Owls in Florida - April ok?

Hi everybody,
    I am planning my holidays for the first two weeks of April.
    I am dreaming of the burrowing Owls, and wonder now if April is a good time to see and photograph them?
    If not, I'd prefer to come next year.
    Are there more Owls to see in Florida?
    Glad to get an answer
    Rosl

Sorry, Daniel, can you change the forum and put my question to the Florida-Forum???
    Thanx!
    Last edited by Rosl Roessner; 02-15-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Wrong Forum

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rosl,
    What part of Florida are you visiting in April? I did well last April in the Ft. Myers area.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As I have not booked the flight by now, I still can decide, where I want to go - and that depends on the best places for Burrowing Owls and other Owls and Raptors. What do you think, where I should go? :2

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thread moved to Florida as per request...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Alright,
    I need some more help and advice, I guess.
    I bought all three Florida site guides (still waiting to get the CD now...) and I am looking forward to spending two weeks in Florida.
    I'd really be happy to meet someone who can show me the Owls of Florida.
    I wrote an email to Jim Neiger but got no Answer by now.
    Is there someone here, who offers guided tours to the Owls and likes to take me to an Owl Trip?
    I did not decide my arrival airport. May be Orlando will be the best one?

So, if you offer Florida Tours, please contact me. You can send me an email: rr@birdpictures.de
    Thanks alot!
    Rose

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rosl,

If you fly to Ft Lauderdale you have many options to go from there. You can spend a few days photographing in several sites around Palm Beach County (Wako, Green Cay, etc) A large variety of birds are present including hawks.

From there you can also spend some time photographing the burrowing owls at Brian Picolo Park. There are many sites within the park and they are easily accessible. The choices may be hatching by then.

You can also spend some time in the Everglades as it is only about 1 hour from the area. In the Everglades you will find a large variety of subjects including raptors: hawks, ospreys, great horned owls.

Hope this helps. I can recommend places to stay and routes if you'd like. Also, if there is a day you want to take a break, there are many other things to do in South Florida. Good food, good music, entertainment, and good people.

All of the above can be done easily without a guide. Do a google search for the Florida Birding Trail. Good info there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosl Roessner View Post
    Alright,
    I need some more help and advice, I guess.
    I bought all three Florida site guides (still waiting to get the CD now...) and I am looking forward to spending two weeks in Florida.
    I'd really be happy to meet someone who can show me the Owls of Florida.
    I wrote an email to Jim Neiger but got no Answer by now.
    Is there someone here, who offers guided tours to the Owls and likes to take me to an Owl Trip?
    I did not decide my arrival airport. May be Orlando will be the best one?

So, if you offer Florida Tours, please contact me. You can send me an email: rr@birdpictures.de
    Thanks alot!
    Rose

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Burrowing Owls

Rosl: Cape Coral and Ft Lauderdale may be your best bets. I sent you an email with some additional information.

Kathy S . Gillentine

If you fly into Ft.Myers, Cape Coral is the place to go. If you do come to this area let me know, and a few of us photographers would be happy to meet you and show you around and if not here is a map to help you find them in Cape Coral

http://www.capecoral.net/Portals/0/d...ite%20Maps.pdf

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Thank you!

Hi everybody,
    thank you for all the information. I am looking forward to having a great time there!
    Kathy, I'll contact you!

Now I have an other question:
    I want to buy the new Canon 2x III Converter and I want to buy it in Florida. Can you tell me any shop, where I can order the TC now and pick it up when I am there?

Would be great to get it somewhere near Ft. Myers, cause I'll start my trip there.
    Bye, Rose

Kathy S . Gillentine

Hi Rose you are very welcome. Believe or not Ft.Myers area does not have a lot camera places, you might try Ritz camera in Naples. if you fly into Tampa there are camera stores up there. I always order and mine shipped to me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi guys,

I been following these other threads also regarding my next week's trip and, just in case, I'm trying to make alternative plans if the weather doesn't cooperate or in case Fort Desoto does not have any (special) birds.

Google map says that it takes 2 hours and 15 minutes to drive to Cape Coral from Fort Desoto. I was wondering if this trip really is doable during one afternoon for example and how much time should I reserve for the trip with traffic and what not. Also what would be the best time to photo the Owls and how much time should I reserve for that action itself?

I know this is a long shot but just in case...

Thanks,

Mikko

Kathy S . Gillentine

Hi Mikko, except for it to take longer to get there, this is tourist and snowbird season ,so the traffic is very heavy at this time of year. I owls are most active early in the morning if it isn't chilly out and towards evening is what I have found. I would count on spending a half of day with the owls.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Kathy! Sounds like my plan B is to drive down one afternoon and wait for sunset.

Mikko

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI,
    i am found this threat about the owls in Cape Coral. They are wonderful. Do you think the owls are there until the end of september or mid of october?
    Thorsten

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, they are there all year round but you won't find all the young owls at this time of year, and it will be EXTREMELY hot.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marina,
    thank you for the information. I have no choice to visit Florida another time. I hope i have a problem with the hot sun not with the wet und windy hurricane. If i get a picture of these owls i am lucky to show it her on the forum.
    Thorsten