Thread: Bosque on the First Day of Spring

Gayle Clement

Default Bosque on the First Day of Spring

Attached Images Attached Images

Work took me to New Mexico for a few days. This is a photo of the Bosque del Apache just before sunset on the first day of spring. I didn't have my tripod with me on this trip unfortunately.

Nikon D2Xs
    Nikkor 24-120mm VR
    ISO 200
    1/25 s f/32
    64mm

Robert Amoruso

Attached Images Attached Images

Gayle,

You did well hand-holding here. I like the composition with the tree on the left balancing with the much larger mountain on the right. I would have preferred to see more of the FG in light and not shadow. Exposure is right on and the sky is very typical of sunset in NM - soft graduation in the tones. You could recrop a bit off the bottom as I have done. It lessens the dark FG which draws the eye but still maintains an anchor. I cropped just below the line of grass the diagonally enters the frame at left and levels out. This is a leading line and having it drop off out of the frame leads the eye out of the image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm inclined to agree with Robert that the foreground is, on the whole, somewhat because of the extreme shadows. Cropping as Robert has done definitely helps. I also wonder if decreasing the saturation of the foreground grasses would help? I know that the sun can make them pop like that, but I think it might actually be a bit overpowering for this image, as the eye needs a reason to rise above the foreground. Quite literally, I'm mired in the weeds!!! :)

Overall, good composition and nicely done for a hand held image.

Robert Amoruso

Good suggestion David on lower the contrast in the front.