Thread: Snow geese landing

Yves Matteau

Default Snow geese landing

Attached Images Attached Images

No need to go to Bosque Del Apache to see hundreds of thousands snow geese doing a halt before going north. Come in the province of Quebec in the first 2-3 weeks of april.They stopped with northern shovelers, northern pintails,american widgeons, ring necked ducks, greater scaups,common mergansers and other suprises.
    Here is a picture taken last spring when nothing could match the sound of thousands of snow geese landing at once.
    Comments appreciated.

Yves Matteau

Forgot les spec., sorry

1/800
    f/13
    iso 400
    Lens 100-400@140mm
    Canon 40D

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superbe cette photo Yves. Beaucoup d'action et j'aime bien l'arrière plan. Je devrait y faire un tour une de ces bonne fois! Looks like a great place to photograph waterfowl. Here in Ottawa we get excited when only a couple of Snow Geese show up. Do you want to trade for a few Canada Geese? :-)

Yves Matteau

Merci, daniel, pour tes commentaires.Sure, if you want to take your chance, you will be welcome here to have a few shots at these beautiful birds.Next season is close ( if we can get rid of all the white stuff). If you project a trip, it`s only a few hours from Ottawa and half an hour from Montreal.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Formidable Yves. J'ai vu une vingtaine à l'Isle Wolfe prés de Kingston le fin de semaine de Paques mais ils ont été trop loin de faire un photo. Peut-être j'irai avec Dan! :D

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Stephen View Post
    Formidable Yves. J'ai vu une vingtaine à l'Isle Wolfe prés de Kingston le fin de semaine de Paques mais ils ont été trop loin de faire un photo. Peut-être j'irai avec Dan! :D
    Yes, we'll have to organize a day trip there. April is a quieter month at work...good time to go! I was in Laval all day last Saturday (family related visit) and was so tempted to make a scouting trip.

Gus Cobos

Nicely done Yves...I like it...:cool:

Fabs Forns

So this is what they do in their free time, huh?

Lovely, thanks for the info!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely photo Yves. We have similar sized flocks that winter in Richmond BC in Terra Nova. They don't leave until mid spring. In the spring you can stand in the middle of a flock of many hundreds of birds and photograph them easily at 100mm. At that time of year they become very active taking off and landing in small or large numbers every few minutes. The flock breaks up into groups of ten or fewer birds flying in and among each other in complete chaos only to land and take off again.
    Last edited by Blake Cook; 09-10-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super Yves. I'll be going through Quebec later this month. Can I see the geese this time of year?

Yves Matteau

John, come here at mid-october, there is a place to go to see thousand of them. Just send me a private mail and i will be glad to help you find the place.

matoy@videotron.ca