Thread: Heermann's Gull Portrait

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Heermann's Gull Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

I took this shot while laying in bird poop, about to roll off the cliff in La Jolla last week. I really love gulls, especially Heermann's in breeding plumage. I remember Artie once telling me "if you point your camera at a gull, they always do something interesting!"

Let me know what you think.

Canon 1D IV, Canon EF70-200 2.8L IS II + TC2 III at 400mm, ISO800, 1/3200 f8, Manual Exposure, handheld

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome pose and capture Patrick very nicely presented.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Patrick! Reds and whites look good and sharp overall! Guano, bird guano Pat

Robert Amoruso

Patrick, I agree sooner or later......

Getting the open mouth and seeing the inside of it adds interest to this handsome portrait. Though I still like' em with the mouth closed too.

I feel the image is a bit cramped. As this looks cropped, I suggest adding room. I would desaturate red some and if you are OK withe such things, clone out the specular highlights on the "U" portion of the beak.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tack sharp Patrick, and just love the open beak. Some space top and bottom would work.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree on a tad more space and on cloning out the highlights, but only if you are comfortable with that. This is an eye-popping capture, nice and sharp and I love the colors and behavior.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Patrick, loved it. perfect exposure, great light, terrific sharpness, timing and colors. Wish this bird was seen here, right?

I loved tight portratis but this one is a little too tight IMO. Some room around will make it better and still keep it tight enough.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great portrait not just because of the technicals (which are perfect) but also because you selected such an interesting subject. Love it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Patrick never seen this species before. The breeding colour is so vibrant. I like the calling posture and the red ring around the eye. Nice exposure and sharpness.

Nico Steenberg

Great IQ and exposure. Like that open beak. Well done !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Allright, I should have know that I would be called out for being lazy.

I agree that it was a little tight, but the bottom of the original image is not cropped, and it was unbalanced without adding canvas to the bottom (that is why I cropped it so tight). It was a little bit of a pain, since the birds neck was there, but I added some room to the bottom. This let me add the room back to the top. As for the bill clean-up, I did the easy part. Now I need to work on the shiny part.

Dan,

I will be a little more careful in my word choice next time.

Guano, feces, droppings, whitewash........although none of these are the words my wife was thinking when I showed up with it all over my clothes and jacket.

Bryan Hix

I agree with the comments/suggestion for the first photo and I think the second post is much better. Nice job, it's a beautiful gull.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet image. I love the elimination of the specular highlights inside the bird's mouth.

Question: was the bird poop ready to roll of the cliff or were you ready to roll off the cliff???
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yea, yea, yea Maybe both!

I put a comma there!

You were the one telling me not to fall off the cliff.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You? I was talking to the bird poop!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.