Thread: Birds - Where to go in Florida?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Birds - Where to go in Florida?

I have internal meetings in Orlando for couple of days during the early part of March and I have been pondering if I should bring the camera with me and stay over the rest of the week / weekend. If I decide to do something like that, to where should I head in Florida (Ding Darling, Venice Rookery or where) at that time of the year for few days? I don’t mind driving “couple” of hours if that gives me better chances to photo local and wintering birds.

Thanks,

Mikko

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You will be fairly close to Viera Wetlands, Merrit Island and Circle B Bar Reserve, and a little farther to Fort DeSoto Park. I think it would definitely be worth taking a little bit of extra time to do some bird photography. March is a good time of year for that...and to warm up!

Good luck. Marina

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Marina. After mercury dipped to minus 14 in the Saturday morning, couple of days in Fort Desoto is starting to sound more and more tempting...

Mikko

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mikko,

Vierra might be a good choice for that time frame. Great blues will be on the nests along with other regular waders.

-Sid

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sid!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kissimmee & Fort Desoto

I made my decision and decided to use the opportunity and stay in Florida for few days after my meetings. My plan is to stay in Orlando / Kissimmee area for two days and then drive to Fort Desoto for another two days. In Kissimmee area I would like to get photos mainly from Snail Kites and Caracaras. In Fort Desoto I’m planning to photo anything which moves

The question is now; is my plan too amphibious, meaning is two days for example enough for Snail Kites and Caracaras? I have bought Sir Morris’ Fort Desoto guide and Mr. Neiger Central Florida guide and I’m planning to study them so that I’ll find the right places when I eventually get there.

Any input from you guys is highly appreciated, as is also any up-to-date information with latest sightings from these two locations you might have. You can also send a private message or e-mail to me if you want. I will be in Florida during the second week of March.

Cheers,

Mikko

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Viera Wetlands & MINWR from Orlando

You could take one day and drive over to the East coast and do both Viera Wetlands (Exit 191 of I-95) and MINWR (Exit 220 of I-95) One in the morning and the other in the afternoon. From Orlando it's about one hour+ via SR 520 ($1.50 toll) and I-95.

Viera has GBH in the nest building stages now and other usual suspects, Limpkins, Wood Storks and Egrets. Don't forget to chect the Click Ponds while at Viera.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jim. Does anybody have any updates from Gatorland? That would be also a convenient place for me...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mikko,

I tried to get in touch with folks that live over in Orange County for some recent info but no luck. I do know that Gatorland is no longer doing the early entry for photographers so you will have to wait for their regular opening time (9:00 AM IIRC). Most tourists want to see the 'gators so you should have the boardwalk and rookery to yourself for a while.

Jim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Again, thanks...