Thread: Merritt Island NWR Report

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Merritt Island NWR Report

This is from the current issue of Habi-Chat of the Merritt Island National Wildlife Association. We have not been up there lately, so I don't know how bad it is, but this is for those planning to go in the near future. You may want to check any updates, if this is your prime shooting area during your stay.

Habi-Chat

Newsletter of the Merritt Island Wildlife Association
    Volume 16 Number 4 Winter 2010

Lack of Rains Means Less Winter Wildlife

Merritt Island NWR has experienced a lack of rainfall throughout the year leading to severe drought conditions. Despite the active hurricane season, the refuge hasn’t received rainfall from tropical systems that often provide late season water to fill the impoundments. Additionally, the lagoon water levels which normally peak in October did not rise as high as in past years and have begun dropping down to dry season levels.

Waterfowl food production within the refuge impoundments is dependent upon the timing and abundance of rainfall. The submerged aquatic vegetation, the primary food available to waterfowl at Merritt Island NWR, is dependent on low salinity conditions. Due to the lack of rainfall and high salinity, production of submerged aquatic vegetation on the refuge is very limited.

Many impoundments which wildlife have depended upon in the past have become hyper-saline as water has evaporated and not been replaced by rain. These conditions have led us to open the impoundments to the lagoon to allow the salt to flush out. This temporarily limits habitat availability but prevents long term damage to the vegetation.

Most impoundments are currently more conducive for shorebirds than waterfowl and waders. The high salinity and low water levels have been favorable for reddish egrets and many can be seen where you would normally be watching ducks. The one bright spot are the marshes along the road to Playalinda Beach which are holding a diverse assortment of waterfowl and a large number of coots.
    Stan Howarter, Refuge Biologist

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for sharing this Mark.

I was in the area for 4 days last week. After seeing the lack of activity I only visited there once and spent the rest of my time at Vierra. While at MINWR we did see a flock of spoonbills that were feeding within close range. A 300mm lens would've yielded you good images. Other than that flock we saw the usual wood storks, egrets and snowies. Other than that, there wasn't much activity.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

'Sorry I missed ya A. J. You probably saw the same spoonbills that I saw. Blackpoint Drive will likely have a nominal fee in the near future btw. Viera has been entertaining all winter though. See you at the Alligator Farm in a few weeks. -Bobby