Thread: The Ides of March

Michael Pancier

Default The Ides of March

Coyote Buttes North - Arizona

late afternoon during grueling hike back from the Wave.

Spotted the Juniper tree and shot it in color and in IR. This image was the B&W conversion of the color shot.

I added a selenium filter and darkened the edges to give it a more surreal look.

5d w/24-70L @ f/16
    polarizer
    1/30
    ISO 400
    tripod w/cable release and mirror lock up
    B&W conversion with Nik Photo Effects Pro; selenium filter added via Lightroom.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael,
    It's a creepy effect--at least I got the chills when I looked at it. I might suggest lightening the tree as it gets lost a bit at the base of the trunk.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Michael,
    I also love the creepy feel. I don't mind the trunk black as my only nit is that on my monitor, the white band of clouds at the horizon are a little overpowering. Let's see if others see this or it's just time to re calibrate mine!
    Great comp and feel to this one,
    Roman

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i think those clouds need to be that bright. i do think that the rocks to the right of the tree could be toned down a bit for an even more spookier mood!!. nice job michael.

Robert Amoruso

Very cool looking Michael. I think Harold might be onto something with making the tone of the rocks on the right match the left.

Robert O'Toole

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    Hey Michael,
    I also love the creepy feel. I don't mind the trunk black as my only nit is that on my monitor, the white band of clouds at the horizon are a little overpowering. Let's see if others see this or it's just time to re calibrate mine!
    Great comp and feel to this one,
    Roman

Take a look at the bottom of every page, this is what the calibration strip is for :)

Robert

Robert O'Toole

I like the overall effect, no one has mentioned this but i would like to see more of the rock patterns in the FG and on the left.

Robert

Gayle Clement

I love the details and the composition. Beautiful and eerie work.

Bret Edge

The selenium filter was a good choice and nicely enhances the surreal mood of this masterfully crafted image.