Thread: Leaf Abstract

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Leaf Abstract

This might be borderline abstract. If the image doesn't meet the requirements, please feel free to remove it from the contest. :)

This is an image of a leaf I've been meaning to photograph for some time. So today I decided to give it a try.

Equipment Used:

Olympus E-3
    Digital Zuiko 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 @ 47mm
    1/1.6 sec @f6.3 (5 separate images)
    ISO 100
    RAW
    manual focus
    tripod
    natural light

Post Processing:

I took five separate images in a light box, focusing each a little further into the frame. I used CombineZP to make a composite image of all five giving me sharpness throughout the entire image. I then used Fractalius and combined its output with the original at about 50% opacity. A Nik filter was used to create a bit more drama and sharpening was applied.

Name:  leafabstract.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  187.8 KB
    copyright reserved 2011, Richard Lovison

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Richard, This is absolutely beautiful! One of your best. It fits the theme fine. The very subtle fract lines in the shadow make this extra special. If I were to get really picky I might fix the tip of the leaf at the left/middle but that is very minor. Excellent colors and the white BG really sets it off!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is stunning! The subtle shadow anchors the image as the colors and shapes rise dramatcially upward. I really like how you obtained such depth resulting in the beautiful bits of transparency of the leaf.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Richard, that is spectacular!! Love the leaping flame like shape, colors and depth. The white bg makes it stand out. Agree with Denise - one of your best! Nicely processed and thanks for sharing the wf.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Richard, this is outstanding! I love the flaming leaf look you captured/created. Please consider posting an unfrac'd version in macro....I bet it's beautiful even without the frac and Nik filters.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Childs View Post
    Richard, this is outstanding! I love the flaming leaf look you captured/created. Please consider posting an unfrac'd version in macro....I bet it's beautiful even without the frac and Nik filters.
    Ken, Indranil, Nancy and Denise,

Thanks for your kind words. The original is below with sharpening and a slight contrast boost.

Denise mentioned the leaf tip on the left (thanks Denise) and upon further inspection I noticed there was a small area left slightly soft... probably needed 6 images to make the composite.

Name:  leafabstractoriginal.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  88.9 KB
    copyright reserved 2011, Richard Lovison

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image and application, Richard.

Like the colors and texture of this. If it were mine, I might experiment with varied BG colors and simple/soft complimentary textures. Maybe a slight vignette border treatement. But nice image as is.

Julie Kenward

Richard, I also think this is one of the best things you've ever done. Wow...what impact! And that touch of yellow at the base area of the leaf surrounded by those hot reds - muy caliente!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, Richard! One of your best! I love the colors and the flame-like look of the leaf is absolutely stunning! Very well done!
    God Bless
    Christopher, Old Photo Master and Master Texturizer

Old Memories Photography

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, thanks again for all the kind words and comments. I don't think I've ever found a more beautiful leaf during my hikes.

Mark - thanks for suggesting some options for post processing. It's appreciated.

Richard

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous! Fabulous colors, composition, treatment.