Thread: "Bro" Goose - Presumed Brant x Snow Goose Hybrid

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default "Bro" Goose - Presumed Brant x Snow Goose Hybrid

Took this shot from our boat as we were headed offshore in Belmar, NJ. It is a presumed Brant x Snow Goose hybrid. Very cool looking bird, so I thought I'd share.

Name:  DSC_1233.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  128.8 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image Paul...love the "Bro". If I would have seen this somewhere, I'd have thought it was a Dark Phase Ross's Goose but I am no expert.

On another note, any boat trips planned the week of the 29th - 30th...
    Thanks
    Last edited by Paul Lagasi; 01-18-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul, I think the people who originally determined its probably parentage decided that "Bro Goose" sounded much better than "Snant". :w

We have two trips going out this weekend, but none on the 29-30 weekend. Our next trips are Feb. 5 (the DE Dovekie trip) and Feb. 13 (an 8 hour trip out of Freeport, NY). This and the Gannet I posted were taken from a fishing trip where we did very well, though photo opportunities are more limited since the boat doesn't stop or chum for birds.

If you want to get offshore, it's a good year. We just set the NJ state record for Common Murre, only to have a group out of Cape May break it a few days later. Both group also found Thick-billed Murre. Plenty of Razorbills, Gannets, and Kittiwakes around too.