Thread: Ireland bound... any suggestions (birders)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ireland bound... any suggestions (birders)

I'm heading to Ireland April 12-19th. I'll be landing in Dublin and driving to Shannon (over the 6 days I have). My travels will keep me in the lower half of Ireland. Any must do's?

I know Ireland isn't known for it's birds (forgive me if I'm wrong) but are there any hot spots for good birding? What birds should be on the top of my list to look for?

Thanks in advance...

Sinuhe Hahn

I've only been on business to Cork and Roscarberry, and am as ever impressed to see Oystercatchers etc.

In the bay of Roscarberry there were numerous mute swans and a wide variety of shore birds.

You may try the following links:

http://corkbirding.blogspot.com/

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/

HTH, S.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, If you are spending any time in Dublin then North Bull Island is the place to go. Its about 40 mins from the airport and ten mins from the city centre and connected to the mainland by bridge and a causeway. You can see thousands of birds around this location, lots of waders, herons, owl, kestrel, peregrine, gulls. It is a real wildlife haven and is unique in that it is right in the centre of our busy capital city. If you are going to be in the West then the Cliffs of Moher are a must-do, Puffin, razorbill, peregrin, lots of gulls. There are a few Gannet colonies around the south coast, Little Skelligs, Co.Kerry is spectacular if you get good weather. Enjoy.....

Cheers,
    Ciaran