Thread: Lens Align Derelict....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lens Align Derelict....

Attached Images Attached Images

Peter Kes asked me to post this the minute that I posted the Lens Align Mark II tutorial. You can find that here.

This is a screen capture that Peter created when he was giving me Lens Align lessons via Skype. The derelict would be your truly :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps; the backyard is Peter's in Switzerland as seen in his Lens Align tutorial. And that's Peter lower left photographing the computer screen--I think. Maybe this is a real image not a screen capture....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

How far away were you when you calibrated the 800 lens? Was it as far as he recommends?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

My original calibration was done at 25 times the focal length. I created the images for the tutorial at about 2X the MFD so that folks could more easily discern the front focus/back focus issues. Did you read the blog post?

Have you ever calibrated a Nikon body???

ps; the close set-up in the image is his backyard set up.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I tried to calibrate my 600 mm lens on my D300s without luck. I gave up because I could not get consistent results with the Lens Align Pro. At time +4 looked best, other times -10 looked best. :(

I thought vibration might be the problem so I placed the camera and lens on a heavy table which had to reduce vibration more than any tripod and head combo.

Don't blame the Nikon. :p I accept all fault. I finally just gave up and am using my lenses and cameras in a non auto fine tune mode.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Artie, You look like a "cereal" :p killer

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is understandable. Back in the day when I was a carboholic I used to eat a box of Kellogg's Frosted Flakes in one sitting. Tony the Tiger was a very good friend of mine....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allanrube View Post
    I tried to calibrate my 600 mm lens on my D300s without luck. I gave up because I could not get consistent results with the Lens Align Pro. At time +4 looked best, other times -10 looked best. :(

I thought vibration might be the problem so I placed the camera and lens on a heavy table which had to reduce vibration more than any tripod and head combo.

Don't blame the Nikon. :p I accept all fault. I finally just gave up and am using my lenses and cameras in a non auto fine tune mode.
    Is your lens a VR lens???

IAC, I had similar problems until I came up with this solution yesterday:

"Next defocus the image just a bit so that you can still see that the central sensor is on or near the center of the target. Then press the shutter button to engage IS and stabilize the image and hit the rear button to focus while you are holding the camera with the image relatively still on the back of the camera and the central sensor on or near the center of the test target. When the mirror comes back up you should see the central sensor light up red and should have heard the focus confirmation beep."

Doing things exactly as above got me consistent results 5of 6 times on average.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    That is understandable. Back in the day when I was a carboholic I used to eat a box of Kellogg's Frosted Flakes in one sitting. Tony the Tiger was a very good friend of mine....
    Too funny!!:p

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hey! Tony the Tiger lives near me, I visit him twice a week (for work that is...) :p

PS.. I agree with Denise... Cereal Killer all the way.. LOL

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Caswell View Post
    Hey! Tony the Tiger lives near me, I visit him twice a week (for work that is...) :p

PS.. I agree with Denise... Cereal Killer all the way.. LOL
    hehehe:):)