Thread: Photo Sites Around Captiva Island

allanschneider

Default Photo Sites Around Captiva Island

Newbee Here.

I have just had the good fortune of being invited to spend a week on Captiva Island during February. I live in New York so this trip is a blessing and opportunity.

This will be my first trip to the west coast of Florida.

There will be some times during my visit that my time will be committed but I will have plenty of free time especially very early and late in the day to do some photography.

I also may be able to get off during the day as well. ( If I am really lucky)

Can any body offer any location suggestion as for bird photos or general nature photography? The place I am staying at is called South Sea Island Resorts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you like I will send you some
    of the images if there is something specific you are interested in.

Thank you in advance ,

Allan Schneider

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are lucky to be staying at a premier resort in SW FL. It is right on the Gulf of Mexico and has nice beaches with opportunities for shorebirds. I have even walked the golf course in the very early morning and seen herons, egrets, gulls, buzzards, marsh rabbits, turtles and gators. Also in the marina I have seen Manatees. Down the road a bit you can visit JN "Ding" Darling Wildlife Refuge. One of the best birding places around. The pier near the Sanibel Lighthouse is also a good place.

allanschneider

Quote Originally Posted by John Hawkins View Post
    You are lucky to be staying at a premier resort in SW FL. It is right on the Gulf of Mexico and has nice beaches with opportunities for shorebirds. I have even walked the golf course in the very early morning and seen herons, egrets, gulls, buzzards, marsh rabbits, turtles and gators. Also in the marina I have seen Manatees. Down the road a bit you can visit JN "Ding" Darling Wildlife Refuge. One of the best birding places around. The pier near the Sanibel Lighthouse is also a good place.
    Thank you for the informative response. I appreciate it.
    I going to follow your suggestions and will let you know how it turns out.
    If I get any worthwhile images I will post them .

Allan Schneider

Michael Pancier

also nearby is Bunchee Beach in Fort Myers, just a few minutes off of Sanibel Island; lots of shorebirds, skimmers, reddish egrets there; also about 30-40 minutes from there is Cape Coral which also has lots of burrowing owls.

allanschneider

This sounds like it is close enough that I can get there easily.

Thank you very much .

Kathy S . Gillentine

also on bowman's beach at times you can capture the skimmer's, and at the small bridge that separates Captive & Sanibel, during low tide birding can be good there.

Douglas Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pancier View Post
    also nearby is Bunchee Beach in Fort Myers, just a few minutes off of Sanibel Island; lots of shorebirds, skimmers, reddish egrets there; also about 30-40 minutes from there is Cape Coral which also has lots of burrowing owls.
    Where might one search for the burrowing owls in Cape Coral?

Thank you.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Benson View Post

Thank you.
    You can find nest around the Library off Mowhawk and Skyline. Also around City Hall and Police station off Nicholas Pkwy near Country Club Pkwy.
    The Pelican Elementary School off Pelican Blvd about 34th St. Also around the ball fields off Pelican Blvd at about 43rd.

Kathy S . Gillentine

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Benson View Post

Thank you.

Hi Douglas,here is Cape Coral's map of the burrowing owls

http://www.capecoral.net/Portals/0/d...ite%20Maps.pdf

Douglas Benson

Thank you Kathy and John. I am looking forward to my visit.

Regards,

Douglas Benson