Thread: 2006 Nature's Best Photography Windland Smith Rice International Awards - A Story

Robert Amoruso

Default 2006 Nature's Best Photography Windland Smith Rice International Awards - A Story

Attached Images Attached Images

In 2006 I won the Birds category in Nature's Best Photography Windland Smith Rice International Awards. That year, like previous years the contest was still in its infancy, without much financial backing and a bit unorganized. I recall when I won being notified by phone and then only received a letter and check for $250. No other contact. On the blog of the 2005 Animal Antics winner’s website I found out that in conjunction with National Wildlife Federation, they held a joint exhibition at the Smithsonian’s Museum of Natural History – that is pretty cool.

I contacted Nature’s Best and asked about this exhibition. Is there a reception? Is there anything I should know as a winner? No responses.

When I received the check I thought I much rather have a trophy; something to keep. I cashed the check.

In 2007, Nature’s Best got their act together and awarded trophies and had a reception in Washington DC at the Smithsonian. I thought, why couldn’t I have won a year later?

Fast forward to Christmas 2010 and December 25th. Agreeing on one present only from each other, I open mine from Cindy (my better half) and to my great surprise it is a “Nature's Best Photography Windland Smith Rice International Awards, Birds Category” plaque in my name.

She had contacted them and expressed her desire that I receive an actual physical award like subsequent winners had. They agreed and she was sent the plaque (image below) in time for Christmas.

I am of course incredibly happy to have this but what affected me the most that morning I opened the present is the expression of Cindy’s love that it represented, to know that I wanted this and to put in the trouble to make this happen – and yes it still took some doing to get them to send it to her.

I will always love her. Thank you Cindy.

This plaque is the one current winner’s receive. Previous winners received a cut glass-looking (I assume a transparent plastic) trophy that according to the person at Nature’s Best Cindy talked to has created a lot of problems for them and the recipients where the base separates from the standing portion of the trophy. Glad I did not get that one.

Trying to photograph this thing w/o reflections – what a pain. I even tried a polarizer!!

The winning image is below.

Robert Amoruso

Default The Winning Image

Attached Images Attached Images

Created in April 2005 at Fort Desoto in Florida.

Don't mention the halo, I could not find the one w/o it. :p

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Robert, great story with Cindy creating a happier ending. A well deserved award for a striking image!
    Congrats Robert!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats, Robert. That was very kind of Cindy. And well deserved for you.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Way, way cool Robert-

Super congratulations...give it a go for this next year!
    Alex

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Beautiful image Robert and a very well deserved win.:)

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats Robert, a lovely present for sure. And by the way congrats on the 3rd place finish in Audubon's Birds In Focus as well! A lovely blur!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for sharing. Great story.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well deserved and thank you for sharing "the rest of the story". Great photo and great story.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert,
    Well deserved. And great effort from your better half. It seems she can read your mind. I can imagine how you would be feeling now.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Roman Kurywczak

What a great gift!!!! I guess shes a keeper! A great surprise and well deserved!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What Christmas is all about.

A touching story and thanks for sharing.

Dave

Danny J Brown

What a wonderful Christmas story! That is a fantastic image and I can see how it easily won the birds category. The plaque looks great as well......sure wish I had one. Take care.

DB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hold on to her! lovely plaque indeed...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great story and big congrats

Robert Amoruso

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I won Grand Prize in Nature for the GBH passing the twig iconic image when the contest was being born. Got nothing. Next year they had a huge ceremony I believe sponsored by CEMEX with great cash prizes. You gotta love it.

Two years ago I won the Art in Nature Category. No ceremony but I got a $125 canvas backpack this time. You gotta love it.

I am pleased however to have had the images honored.

I guess that you could say, "Been there, done that."
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Danny J Brown

Robert,

It looks like you have a new Audubon Award to add to the collection. A huge congratulations on this one as well.

DB

Robert Amoruso

Thanks Danny.